Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Facebook’s global network is one of the largest and most complex in the world. The Optical Network Engineering team is responsible for the engineering of Facebook’s Metro and Long haul Fiber Networks and is looking for an Optical Engineer to join the team. As an optical engineer you will have a unique opportunity to take this network to the next levels of growth, innovation and performance, while advancing the company’s cultural values of hard work, transparency and individual ownership of getting it right. This position is full-time and located in our Hong Kong office.
- Work with various teams to understand Facebook’s network, user base, performance constraints and growth requirements
- Work with procurement and other teams to devise strategies on hardware and network acquisitions for the Asia Pacific (APAC) region
- Provide network planning and engineering support for a large scale network design
- Evaluate deployment architectures and translate them to vendor requirements/roadmaps
- Planning and commissioning of the optical network and submarine nodes in APAC
- Experience working in optical engineering or design roles on an ISP- or enterprise-level network
- Knowledge of CDC ROADM, coherent transponders and flex-grid operation optical networks
- Awareness of extended-reach modulation techniques for ultra-long haul and submarine applications
- Preferred knowledge of Network Management Systems (NMS), operational interfaces and optical design and planning tools
- Experience with the rollout of large DWDM networks
- Good working knowledge of IP networking fundamentals
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top