Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Hardware Network Engineering team is looking for an Optical Engineer to develop optical technologies and support the Input/Output strategies for Facebook's global network comprised of cutting-edge switches and routers. This team is responsible for the design, implementation and support of one of the world's largest networks. As an Optical Engineer, you will have a unique opportunity to shape the future networks of Facebook by providing the technical requirements and steering the industry and ecosystem.
- Design, develop, build and test components, systems and products.
- Hands-on integration and collaboration with disciplines such as software, automation, electrical, mechanical, signal integrity, and FPGA design.
- Build, test, and evaluate performance of optical components, systems, and hardware. Use the results to drive requirements, work with outside partners, and help inform Facebook's technology roadmap.
- Develop test methodologies both for optics and for end-to-end system evaluation, contribute to EVT and DVT efforts.
- Work with various teams to understand FB's network, user base, performance constraints and growth requirements, both in FB's data centers and backbone networks.
- Work in a collaboratively across Facebook and with ODM's & OEM's to drive Facebook's networking hardware requirements for development, planning, operation and deployment.
- Recommend new product and product development, and contribute to the roadmap efforts.
- Interface with the industry and contribute to RFI/RFP process for optical solutions.
- Communicate complex optical hardware requirements to non-experts both internally and to industry-facing stakeholders.
- Master's degree in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Applied Physics, Sciences and Engineering, and/or related field.
- 3+ years of experience with optical communication systems, both linear and nonlinear impairments in optical transmission systems, electronic circuits, and signal/data analysis.
- 3+ years of experience in high-speed optical and electrical test and measurement equipment, control, data acquisition and testing automation.
- Proven track record of an independently run project in the relevant fields.
- Relevant experience in high capacity, high channel-count DWDM optical transmission systems.
- Relevant experience with open source tooling (GIT, Mercurial, MySQL, Linux).
- Experience with optical link budgeting concepts and fiber-optic link impairments, both linear and nonlinear.
- Experience in creating or influencing system requirements documents (SRDs)
- Experience with advanced modulation formats, direct detect and coherent systems (e.g., OOK, PAM-4, QPSK, 8-QAM, 16QAM) and concepts.
- Programming skills in one or more of the following: Python, C/C++, or MATLAB.
- Experience working in distributed software development environments.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top