Optical Deployment Engineer
- Flexible / Remote
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is looking for an Optical Deployment Engineer who will be responsible for supporting deployments of one of the world's largest and most complex networks. As a member of this team, you will have a unique opportunity to be involved in projects related to planning, implementation & scaling of the Facebook optical, backbone and edge network. The ideal candidate is an engineer who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and constantly evolving network. A quick learner, proactive, and highly motivated engineer that is not afraid to challenge the status quo, with a creative mind to find solutions and workarounds for day-to-day problems. As an Optical Deployment Engineer, she/he is not afraid to propose new ideas, gather constructive feedback from others, and push forward to make these ideas a reality.
- Support build activities including design, build, configuration, and migration in large-scale production optical network that spans ULH terrestrial, regional metros and subsea networks, interconnecting data centers and Point of Presence (POP) sites across North and South America.
- Plan, schedule and perform complex network migrations.
- Maintain standards for all builds and design packages for metro, regional and long-haul DWDM rings/systems.
- Generate implementation plans and provide technical leadership and guidance during deployment activities.
- Collaborate with vendors/manufacturers to evaluate new hardware/software and create optical standards for network deployment teams.
- Build and maintain acceptance criteria for vendors providing services for building infrastructure.
- Review and maintain acceptance documents provided by vendors and subcontractors deploying equipment on our network.
- Provide technical expertise to network provisioning engineers for troubleshooting out-of-service or faulty circuits.
- Work closely with Network Engineering, Logistics and equipment vendors to ensure seamless introduction of new optical technologies into the production network.
- Proactively contribute to documentation, automation and processes as they evolve.
- 10% of travel required.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience deploying optical networks.
- Experience with optical network design, installation and maintenance for service providers or enterprise networks.
- Knowledge of optical theory, transport technologies and the operation of optical transport systems.
- Experience with field-based work in POPs, carrier hotels, data centers and Central Office environments.
- Experience with optical test equipment and optical troubleshooting experience using OTDR, OSA, BERT and optical power meters.
- Technical knowledge of various regional Data Center electrical and cooling configurations, IEC, NEMA standards, AC/DC power, power redundancy scenarios.
- Experience creating rack elevations and other planned/install/as-built documentation.
- Experience analyzing situations, utilizing systems, tools and troubleshooting experience to resolve technical issues.
- Knowledge of data center design and operational best practices.
- Proven Communication skills both internally and externally.
- Time management and organization experience.
- Experience working in a global team environment.
- Experience working in fast-paced and dynamic environments with limited supervision
- Experience in reading, creating, and troubleshooting network code
- Experience in creating network scripts to automate network configurations and migrations
Back to top