Network System Validation Engineer
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Facebook demands highly customized server components from its hardware vendors to ensure that every watt hour of energy is used efficiently. Our designs are kept simple and minimalistic; with an emphasis on specifying and testing every critical component. We believe connecting the world is one of the greatest challenges of our generation, and that everyone deserves access to the knowledge, tools and opportunities that come from being connected. That’s why we, along with other tech companies, launched Internet.org, a global partnership to make the Internet available to the two thirds of the world’s population that doesn’t have it. In order to enable this, we have been working on developing new platforms for connectivity on the ground, in the air and in orbit. A solid hardware product is the key to demonstrate the complete solution to the world, showing its feasibility, scalability and cost effectiveness. Our goal is to enable the whole industry to build the most effective infrastructure across the world so we can achieve the mission of connecting the world. This position is full time and located in our Menlo Park office.
- Validate architecture and specifications for custom data center equipment that uses innovative Network interconnect (NIC) solutions.
- Engage vendors to ensure product meets specification for NICs in terms of functionality and performance.
- Work on NIC, Cable and AOC and rack qualification plans and work with the wider team on test execution, result reviews and providing exit gate feedback.
- Validate internet connectivity on soldered down NIC solutions for scale deployment.
- Review schematic and board diagrams, test reports, audits and production data to ensure smooth ramp at scale.
- Test and deploy innovate network interconnect and connectivity concepts from concept to completion.
- Test designs for functionality and power efficiency.
- Engage data center and sustaining teams to ensure NIC product sustainability and hardware lifecycle management for NICs.
- Support NIC FW upgrade workflows, driver change re-qualification and multi-source qualification plans by working with vendors and ODMs.
- Bachelor’s degrees in electrical or computer engineering
- 5+ years of experience designing, testing and deploying network interconnect systems at scale
- Familiar with server system architecture, full system network connectivity (layer 3 and below) for server NIC add-in cards
- Experience with IEEE 802.3 specifications for NICs and full stack implementation of TCP, UDP, application performance tuning in Linux
- Experience with high speed board bring-up, cable interoperability testing, hardware testing methodologies for NIC interconnects.
- Experience with Linux networking stack, error reporting and OS network performance tuning
- Experience leading vendors and offshore teams
- Experience with wired and wireless backhaul systems and telecom communication systems
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top