Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
Every day we strive to provide best possible experience to our users that are now numbered in billions, and to make that possible, we have deployed an ultra-high capacity backbone network that spans the Globe. We are looking for a Network Planner to join our Backbone team to support the expansion of our global network. This is an ideal role for a Network Planner that wants to work on a purpose built and ever expending network that touches and changes lives of billions for the better every day.
- Design IP topology, taking into consideration physical path, resiliency availability, performance and cost.
- Simulate various network design iterations, present and future for both layer1 and layer3 upon performance and cost tradeoffs.
- Model ad-hoc, what-if scenarios, including greenfield and brownfield demand and supply scenarios to set forth strategy.
- Enhance existing models which characterize architectural guidelines and design principles
- Analyze network traffic flow data and network capacity projections to develop network expansion requirements for optical/IP.
- Expose areas of risk and bottlenecks of the network and help prioritize criticality of particular network builds.
- Analyze simulations results to identify influential drivers and build key indicators to validate designs recommendations into production.
- Plan network capacity and topology expansions using both off-the-shelf and in-house developed network design and analysis tools.
- Develop and implement planning tools to enhance our network planning capabilities.
- Work with engineering, finance, and sourcing functions to support network acquisitions strategies
- Follow the developments of IP/Optical technology roadmaps and capabilities.
- Design standard network node architectures that best fits Facebook infrastructure needs
- Minimum 3 years of experience in transport network planning in high capacity, mission critical production environment
- Knowledge of network topology and experience in building resiliency design
- Experience in optical transport technologies, state-of-the-art, building blocks, and vendors in the field
- Knowledge of optical link design, wavelength assignment, and coherent modulation schemes etc.
- Experience with network modeling tools such as: Cariden, WANDL, ARIA, OPNET, or other in-house tool.
- Ability to communicate across the organization, including sourcing, engineering and program management
- Programming or coding skills, and SQL or similar, for data analysis tools for testing and development purposes
- BS or MS (in Engineering, Operations Research, computer related)
- Experience with both terrestrial and submarine networks
Back to top