Network Optical Engineer, PHD Intern
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
Driven by our rapid growth, Facebook is looking to take advantage of the efficiencies gained by optimizing our network hardware for our data centers. Facebook is looking for an Optical Systems Engineer to support the development of the Network Hardware for the Data Centers and Wide Area Networks of Facebook. This position is located in our Menlo Park office.
- Collaborate with FB engineers on the next generation optical communication technology with a particular focus the testing of optical modules and subsystems for Data Center applications.
- Work in a collaborative environment across Facebook teams including SW, Thermal, Mechanical, and EE.
- Develop test and simulation methodologies relevant for next-generation, high-speed optical technologies.
- Develop automation practices and solutions for lab testing.
- Streamline data collection, retrieval and analysis.
- Characterization of RF/mm-wave systems, such as S-parameter measurements, jitter measurements, and ADC/DAC performance.
- Pursuing a degree in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Applied Physics, or related field with relevant coursework or research.
- Familiarity with lab equipment such as oscilloscopes, high speed probes, logic analyzers, power meters and data acquisition systems.
- Experience in Python or other object-oriented language, C, or MATLAB.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Must be currently enrolled in a full-time degree program and returning to the program after the completion of the internship/co-op
- Pursuing Master's or PhD in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related field
- Experience with system-level optical communication hardware and components.
- Experience in high-speed optical and electrical test.
- Experience working in distributed software development environment with other engineers.
- Experience with lab automation.
Back to top