Network Operations Engineer - Data
- Fremont, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is looking for a Network Operations Engineer - Data to join our Network Operations team who is passionate about using data to influence and shape network operations strategy across multiple domains including IP, optical and CDN networks. You will be responsible for identifying business needs and translating them into requirements, defining and implementing the operations metrics, identifying operations efficiency opportunities, and providing meaningful recommendations and actionable strategies to stakeholders for continuous improvements. This is a highly collaborative role that will require working with many teams across network planning, engineering, deployment and operations, program management, hardware quality, logistics and more.
- Be the key Subject Matter Expert on operations data of Facebook production networks in a hyper-scale and heterogeneous environment.
- Partner with leadership, Ops engineers, program managers and data scientists to understand data needs.
- Use data mining and statistical techniques to validate or identify operational inefficiencies, exceptions, and fault/event correlation.
- Provide data driven narratives, determining what is important and what next steps should be taken.
- Build/maintain data pipelines, tables and dashboards, and leverage these for analyzing incidents and trends.
- Build cross-functional relationships, develop dashboard/reporting for different audience levels, and have the ability to influence policies and procedures to improve global network operations.
- Help create policies and machine learning algorithms to solve complex business problems.
- Build data expertise and own data quality for your areas.
- Participate in the oncall rotation with the global operations team.
- 15% of travel (domestic and international).
- Engineering degree, or a related technical discipline or equivalent years of professional technical experience.
- Network operations experience while supporting large-scale network infrastructure, proficient in one of the network domains: IP network, optical network or CDN/Edge network.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience analyzing and interpreting data, drawing conclusions, defining recommended actions.
- Experience communicating the results of analysis and insights to cross functional teams and influence the strategy of those teams.
- 5+ years of SQL development experience.
- Coding experience with scripting languages (Python, PHP), or Java/C++/Go.
- Knowledge of statistical data analysis, queueing theory, and optimization techniques.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or a related technical field
- Experience with large data sets and distributed computing (Hive/Hadoop)
- Knowledge of predictive modeling algorithms and frameworks
- Familiarity with ML technologies and infrastructure
- Expert knowledge of TCP/IP and IPv6
Back to top