Network Operations Engineer - Caching Appliance
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Facebook is looking for a Network Operations Engineer to help with deployment and support for our Caching Appliance program. This program works with Internet Service Providers (ISPs) globally to build and run the caching appliance infrastructure. Our caching appliance is a content caching platform designed to improve the user experience by caching static content and presenting it closer to the user base.
- Schedule and perform caching appliance deployments, testing, and repair.
- Manage project timelines to support turn-up within expected completion intervals.
- Lead manage services global support team. Troubleshoot issues in adherence to SLAs and act as escalation for support issues, challenges and process improvements.
- Deliver documentation to build and support deployments.
- Proactively contribute to support documentation, automation and processes as they evolve.
- Work closely with Traffic Engineering teams as new equipment and technologies are integrated into the production network.
- Use internal tools and scripts to configure, monitor, and repair services.
- Perform detailed troubleshooting remotely, engage and manage vendors as needed to resolve hardware issues.
- Monitor incident queue, take ownership or distribute to team members
- Work with ISPs to turn up new capacity.
- Engage and or escalate as needed to troubleshoot out-of-service nodes.
- Participate in on call activities and follow escalation process to support the infrastructure 24/7.
- 6+ years of network operations experience while supporting large-scale service provider, datacenter, and/or enterprise network infrastructure.
- Experience with Content Delivery Networks and Internet Peering strategies.
- Experience in Linux operating systems.
- Experience with routing and switching technologies and protocols, particularly TCP/IP, IPv6, BGP.
- Experience to capture and analyze traffic.
- Experience with engagement, escalation, and participation in ongoing deployment projects.
- Experience in Queue Management for tasks, incidents and vendors.
- Experience with work in POPs, carrier hotels, or Central Office environments.
- Experience in fiber-optic technology including cable types, connector types, optic types, patch panels, and optical transport technologies.
- Time management and organization experience.
- Experience in analyzing situations, troubleshooting, systems and tools, and problem solving.
- Programming and scripting capabilities are strongly desired.
- Excellent communication skills, should be able to work with service providers and colocation facilities around the world.
- Ability to work within a global team in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with limited supervision.
- 15% of travel required.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top