Network Hardware Insights Engineer
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
This Network Hardware Insight Engineer will be passionate about identifying, developing and delivering the next generation of disruptive infrastructure technologies. This is an intellectually complex and operationally challenging role that will afford the opportunity to lead the way the technology industry deploys hardware infrastructure at scale! Given the magnitude, complexity and impact of Facebook, the individual in this role must have strong analytical skills, superior technical aptitude and an intrinsic ambition for and skill at building and growing an industry leading organization that consistently delivers world-class infrastructure.
Driven by our rapid growth, Facebook is looking to take advantage of the efficiency gained by monitoring, analyzing and diagnosing network hardware for our data centers. Our network platform is industry-leading for its efficiency, throughput, scalability, reliability and intelligence. Facebook is looking for a Hardware Insights Engineer to support the development of the network insights engine, including fleet-wide statistical data analytics, support diagnostics and FMA automation and provide tools to inform future data center designs.
- Improve the operational experience of the hardware networking fleet and ultimately our hardware designs by analyzing and diagnosing the behavior of our hardware fleet.
- Make recommendations for improving designs and for improving operational challenges.
- Collaborate with the network hardware engineering team (networking, optics and electrical engineers), data science teams of Facebook, Data Center operations, capacity planning and other teams across Facebook to understand and solve production issues at all levels (switch-to-switch, up to network-scale).
- Engage with the various software and data teams to ensure collection of pertinent hardware data and signals across our fleet, and verify its integrity.
- Interact with production teams to determine, prioritize and establish solutions to critical hyper-scale data center production challenges.
- Generate signals from network data center devices, logging, telemetry, storage, and analysis to provide insights on component, device and system health across our fleet.
- Understand, interpret and articulate the interaction of data center elements and components at all levels, from individual data center device to network-scale interactions.
- Analyze and diagnose large datasets for normal and anomalous conditions, process streaming telemetry, investigate correlation and establish causal effects across the network.
- Bachelorâ€™s or Masters degree in Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, or related field.
- 1+ years of hardware development experience, especially in networking gear, such as switch, router, and transport.
- 1+ years of experience with electronic/hardware design, diagnostics, FMA, bring-up of data center hyper-scale systems.
- 1+ years of experience with hardware testing and diagnostics methodologies.
- 1+ years of experience with monitoring, logging, data streaming and statistical analysis and root-causing of hardware systems.
- 1+ years of programming/scripting, automation, data structures design experience.
- Experience with firmware operations and real-time implementation challenges, diagnostics.
- Experience with networking and data center production challenges, at scale.
- Familiarity with network system architecture from major network equipment company such as CISCO, Juniper, Arista.
- Signal integrity knowledge for high-speed circuits and optical links.
- Knowledge of Linux or other embedded environments, including Linux kernel operations.
- Programming experience in test/measurement, data analysis automation and Python.
- Experience with failure mode analysis, understanding and predicting fundamental or critical potential failure modes.
- Proven track record of success delivering products to customers.
- Experience working with networking merchant silicon suppliers, optical components and hardware design.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top