Network Engineer - Infrastructure & Deployment
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is looking for hybrid network/systems engineers who ensure that Facebook's services run smoothly and have the capacity for future growth. They are embedded in every one of Facebook's product and infrastructure teams, and are core participants in every significant engineering effort underway in the company
- Managed and coordinate all aspects of Infrastructure (Caching appliance) build, including Engineering and technical design input.
- Collaborate with our Software Engineering teams to increase Automation around our Deployments
- Create Deployment packages and documentation for Network Planning, Execution and New Platform Introduction as well as Hardware Refresh within the fleet.
- Partner with cross-functional teams internal to Facebook to achieve organizational objectives on Deployment targets. Influence goal and plan of record setting for groups
- Drive continual improvement into alerting, monitoring and remediation of user performance issues
- Plan, oversee and perform complex field work including commissioning & decommissioning systems and be able to work with and review external vendors' activities in activities above.
- Experience with Content Delivery Networks and Internet Peering strategies & service provider IP topologies
- Knowledge of networking and application protocols, especially TCP/IP, HTTP/S, DNS, BGP.
- Experience with Linux or a Unix-based OS as well as scripting skills in Shell, Perl and Python
- Experience in Fiber-optic technology including cable types, connector types, optic types, and optical transport technologies.
- Experience in analyzing situations, troubleshooting, systems and tools, and problem solving.
- Communication skills & ability to work within a global team in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with limited supervision.
- Communication skills, should be able to work with service providers and colocation facilities around the world.
- Cisco (CCNP), (JNCP) Certifications and/or equivalent.
- Prior experience with orchestration technologies such as Chef or Ansible.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top