Network Engineer - Edge Cache
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we're just getting started.
Facebook is looking for hybrid network/systems engineers who can help build and scale one of the largest CDN infrastructure, and ensure that Facebook's services run smoothly and have the capacity for future growth. They are embedded in every one of Facebook's product and infrastructure teams, and are core participants in every significant engineering effort underway in the company.As a Network Engineer you will work with Internet Service Providers (ISPs) globally to build and run the caching appliance infrastructure. In this role you will be responsible for deploying and maintaining high end routers, switches and servers in a multi-vendor/global environment. Additionally, you will work with multiple internal and external stakeholders on installations, capacity upgrades and operational reviews. Our caching appliance takes us closer to the people who use our services and ensure they experience pure joy when using our products!
- Schedule and perform router, switch and server deployments, testing, and repair.
- Manage project timelines to support turn-up within expected completion intervals.
- Configure and manage peering relationships with various service providers and various interface types (10, 40, 100G).
- Analyze data flows and traffic patterns.
- Deliver documentation to build and support deployments.
- Collaborate with senior team members and network architects on traffic optimization.
- Work closely with Traffic Engineering teams as new equipment and technologies are integrated into the production network.
- Use internal tools and scripts to configure, monitor, and repair services.
- Perform detailed troubleshooting remotely, engage and manage hardware vendors as needed to resolve issues.
- Lead & manage a global support team. Troubleshoot issues in adherence to SLAs and act as escalation for support issues, challenges and process improvements.
- 6+ years of network operations experience while supporting large-scale service provider, datacenter, and/or enterprise network infrastructure.
- Experience with Content Delivery Networks and Internet Peering strategies.
- Knowledge of large-scale internet service architectures (such as load balancing, LAMP, CDN's), even if you haven't worked on one.
- Knowledge of UNIX and TCP/IP network fundamentals.
- Experience with routing and switching technologies and protocols, particularly TCP/IP, IPv6, BGP, 802.1Q, Spanning Tree, LACP, PAgP and/or security concepts.
- Configuration and maintenance of common applications such as Apache, memcached, Squid, MySQL, NFS, DHCP, NTP, SSH, DNS, and SNMP.
- Experience with engagement, escalation, and participation in ongoing deployment projects.
- Experience with work in POPs, carrier hotels, or Central Office environments.
- Experience in fiber-optic technology including cable types, connector types, optic types, patch panels, and optical transport technologies.
- Experience in analyzing situations, troubleshooting, systems and tools, and problem solving.
- Programming and scripting capabilities.
- Communication skills, should be able to work with service providers and colocation facilities around the world.
- Ability to work within a global team in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with limited supervision.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top