Network Engineer, Deployment & Support
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is looking for a Network Engineer to join the Edge and Network Services team. This team is responsible for deploying and supporting one of the world's largest and complex networks. As a member of this team, you will have a unique opportunity to be involved in all aspects of networking at Facebook. This position is based in our Menlo Park, California headquarters.
- Deploy and support our global production and corporate network including edge, backbone, datacenter, campus, and content delivery network (CDN) infrastructure.
- Work cross-functionally with project management and network engineering to generate implementation plans including Method of Procedure (MOP) and Bill of Materials (BOM).
- Provide technical leadership and guidance during deployment activities in our datacenters and POPs, including in the areas of facility power, cooling, rack layout and cable management.
- Perform fault isolation and trouble resolution on network hardware, software, and circuits.
- Schedule and perform network maintenance including repairs, upgrades, and migrations.
- Maintain asset database for installed network gear and work with Logistics on vendor RMAs.
- Maintain technical and training documentation, develop automation and tooling as needed.
- Participate in on call activities and follow escalation process to support the infrastructure 24/7.
- Minimum of 6 years of IP networking experience with designing, deploying, and supporting large-scale service provider, datacenter, and/or enterprise network infrastructure.
- Ability in configuring and troubleshooting IP routing/switching technologies and protocols including TCP/IP, BGP, ISIS, OSPF, MPLS, RSVP, and VRRP in a dual-stack IPv4/6 environment.
- Working knowledge of fiber-optic communications technology including CWDM and DWDM.
- Hands-on experience with enterprise and carrier class routing, switching, and optical transport platforms.
- Understanding of data center design and operational best practices.
- Experience with Linux OS/networking.
- Ability to analyze situations and utilize problem solving abilities under pressure.
- Experience working in a fast-paced global team environment with limited supervision.
- Attention to detail with time and project management skills.
- Ability to lift/move 30-40 pounds on a daily basis.
- 10% to 30% of travel.
- Experience working in a multi-vendor network environment.
- Experience with field-based work in Collocation Facilities, Internet Exchanges, or Central Offices.
- Scripting experience with Python or Perl.
- Network certifications such as CCNP or JNCIP. Expert level certifications.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top