Network Engineer, Deployment & Support
(Fort Worth, TX)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook's datacenter footprint is constantly growing to adapt to the vast amount of new services we provide to people. This results in a dramatic scaling challenge that our engineers face on a daily basis. Not only do we need to build and evolve the physical infrastructure that connects myriads of servers together, but also ensure that the network is running smoothly and meets strict performance goals. With the introduction of our own switching software (FBOSS) and our open networking hardware projects (Wedge, Wedge100 and Backpack) we have entered into a new era of unprecedented opportunities to re-think traditional networking and iterate quickly in an area that was previously very closed to innovation. Facebook's Edge & Network Service (ENS) team is actively looking for passionate people to help us tackle the unique set of challenges and opportunities we face, while contributing to our company mission of connecting the world. Our team is the execution arm of the Facebook network team and is responsible for the deployment and support of all production networks (Edge, Backbone, Optical, and Datacenter) as well as our content delivery network (CDN) across the globe. This truly global team offers a unique career opportunity to work with all of the latest network technologies and talented engineers solving some of the most complex problems in the industry. This position is full-time and will be based in our Fort Worth, TX datacenter.
- Deployment, configuration, and management of all network infrastructure on our datacenter campus.
- Work with partner teams and vendors to manage day-to-day operations and reliability of the regional network.
- Schedule and perform maintenance including upgrades, migrations, and decommissioning of production networks.
- Create deployment packages and maintain as-built documentation and asset database for installed network gear.
- Establish and implement global best practices and contribute to the design of new scalable network solutions.
- Support the development, testing and integration of new hardware and software platforms into the network.
- Participate in an on-call rotation to support the regional network infrastructure 24x7.
- 6+ years of related work experience responsible for designing, deploying and operating large-scale networks.
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting routing and switching protocols (BGP, IS-IS, MPLS, RSVP-TE, VRRP).
- Practical working knowledge of network protocols (TCP/UDP, DHCP, DNS) and experience with IPv4 and IPv6.
- Experience working in a multi-vendor environment with hands-on experience with networking hardware.
- Working knowledge of physical infrastructure design including structured cabling and fiber-optic cabling.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and deliver against mission critical deadlines.
- Proven ability to work in fast-paced global team environments and solve problems with limited supervision.
- Ability to lift/move 30-40 pounds on a daily basis.
- 10% of travel required, up to 30% based on projects.
- Working knowledge of 40/100G Ethernet and CWDM, DWDM and optical transport network technologies.
- Experience with field-based work in Data Centers, Colocation Facilities, Internet Exchanges, or Central Offices.
- Working knowledge of data center power and cooling infrastructure and critical facility operational best practices.
- Familiarity with the Linux based systems.
- Experience with scripting and automation (Bash, Python, Perl).
- Technical leadership capabilities and people management experience.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top