Network Engineer, Datacenter (Infrastructure)
(Menlo Park, CA - Denver, CO)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook's datacenter footprint is constantly growing to adapt to the vast amount of new services we provide to people. This results in a dramatic scaling challenge that our engineers have to deal with on a daily basis. Not only we need to build and evolve the physical infrastructure that connects myriads of servers together, but also ensure that the network is running smoothly and meets strict performance goals. And with the introduction of our own switching software (FBOSS) and our networking products (Wedge and Six-pack) we have entered into a new era of unprecedented opportunities to re-think traditional networking and iterate quickly in an area that was previously very closed to innovation.Facebook's datacenter network engineering team is actively looking for people with passion to solve difficult problems and innovate at fast pace. Datacenter networking at Facebook is multi-faceted discipline and covers all layers, starting from physical (fiber and optics), actively using distributed routing protocols such as BGP and topping with our own software stack running on our network devices. For this role, we are looking for a network engineer with solid experience in network infrastructure and fiber connectivity solutions, including the design and deployment of datacenter infrastructure, ISP and OSP design, and optical technologies. Reach out to us if you are eager to innovate and contribute to our mission.
- Architect, design, engineer and implement scalable physical and logical datacenter infrastructure solutions.
- Research, develop & deploy numerous technologies and network topologies in order to evolve and scale our datacenters.
- Work closely with our hardware, software and sourcing teams, and external vendors to develop new optical solutions and influence the future of networking and its associated infrastructure.
- Partner with our software teams to develop and implement the tooling required to provision, manage, monitor and troubleshoot our networks.
- 5+ years of experience in TCP, IP[v4|v6], BGP and related protocols.
- 3+ years of experience in structured cabling and fiber optic infrastructure - their application and limitations within the datacenter space
- Knowledge of optical ethernet technologies and their evolution
- Understanding of network hardware platforms and their specifications in the datacenter space
- Experience troubleshooting common network issues
- Time management and communication skills
- Ability to participate in a regular on-call rotation
- Experience working in a multi-vendor network environment
- 1+ years of scripting experience with Python, Perl, or other languages
- Experience in content or service provider environments
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top