Network Engineer, Datacenter
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Facebook’s datacenter footprint is constantly growing to adapt to the vast amount of new services we provide to people. This results in a dramatic scaling challenge that our engineers have to deal with on a daily basis. Not only we need to build and evolve the physical infrastructure that connects myriads of servers together, but also ensure that the network is running smoothly and meets strict performance goals. And with the introduction of our own switching software(FBOSS) and our networking products (Wedge and Six-pack) we have entered into a new era of unprecedented opportunities to re-think traditional networking and iterate quickly in an area that was previously very closed to innovation.Facebook’s datacenter network engineering team is actively looking for people with passion to solve difficult problems and innovate at fast pace. Datacenter networking at Facebook is multi-faceted discipline and covers all layers, starting from physical (fiber and optics), actively using distributed routing protocols such as BGP and topping with our own software stack running on our network devices. Reach out to us if you are eager to innovate and contribute to our mission.This position is full-time and located our Menlo Park, Seattle, or Denver offices.
- Design, engineer and implement large scale Datacenter networks across multiple geographic locations.
- Research, develop & deploy numerous technologies and network topologies in order to evolve and scale our datacenters.
- Work closely with other Facebook teams and external vendors to develop new features and influence the future of networking.
- Partner with our software teams to develop and implement the tooling required to provision,manage,monitor and troubleshoot our networks.
- 5+ years of experience in TCP, IP[v4|v6], and related protocols
- 5+ years of experience with MP-BGP
- 5+ years of experience with traffic engineering implementations (ISIS/OSPF and RSVP-TE/Auto-Bandwidth/FRR)
- Experience working in a multi-vendor network environment
- In-depth understanding of network hardware platforms and their specifications in the datacenter space
- Experience troubleshooting TCP performance issues in data-center and global networks (knowledge of tcpdump/wireshark and similar tools)
- 5+ years of experience with Linux
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- Ability to participate in a regular on-call rotation
- Scripting experience with Python, Perl, or other languages strongly preferred
- Experience in content or service provider environments a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering a plus
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top