Network Engineer, Connectivity Deployment
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Facebook Connectivity team builds the bleeding edge technology that will allow Facebook to connect our next billion users. Our projects are aimed at delivering connectivity to people without access to the internet and increasing connectivity for people with access to existing but inadequate network infrastructures. The Connectivity Deployment team works closely with cross-functional partners to support engineering, testing, and deployments across the globe. Connectivity Deployment Engineers are responsible for designing and implementing connectivity solutions in partnership with OEMs and network operators. Automation is the key to meeting our demands; you will be responsible for conceiving, developing, and launching tools to support testing, network deployment, maintenance, and scale of FBC infrastructure. This position is full-time.
- Develop test automation integrated with CI/CD pipeline to qualify software before a push in production.
- Design, build, and integrate end-to-end network designs to integrate connectivity solutions into carrier/ISP networks.
- Strong on TCP/IP network design and implementation.
- Interface directly with partners and serve as an escalation point for engineering and product teams.
- Provide deployment and troubleshooting support for network integration activities during field trials of connectivity solutions.
- Support the development, testing, and integration of new hardware and software connectivity solutions.
- Perform both internal and external lab testing to validate and benchmark off the shelf as well as inbuilt connectivity components.
- Work cross-functionally with partners, project managers, network, software, and hardware engineers to validate equipment and software, create network solutions, lead network trials, and create operational best practices to solve connectivity problems.
- Work cross-functionally with local municipalities, engineering, and system integrators.
- Proactively contribute to and maintain technical and training documentation.
- Develop automation and tooling as needed to support connectivity deployment initiatives.
- Ability to travel internationally, up to 25% of the time. We are working across time zones, remote teams, and cultures.
- Knowledge in Linux OS/Networking.
- Experience in at least one programming language like Python, Perl, C/C++, or Go for developing automation software or tooling.
- Experience debugging issues within custom code.
- Knowledge of technology-agnostic approach to engineering.
- Hands-on experience with Network Test Equipment like Spirent, IXIA, etc.
- Knowledge of network protocols (TCP/UDP, DHCP, DNS) and experience with IPv4 and IPv6.
- Experience working in a multi-vendor environment with hands-on experience with networking hardware.
- Hands-on experience designing and deploying scaled network solutions at mobile network operators (MNO), regional ISP, or Telcos.
- Proven experience managing multiple projects simultaneously and deliver against deadlines.
- Proven experience working in a global team environment and solving problems independently.
- 4+ years of work experience responsible for designing, deploying, and operating networks. Experience configuring and troubleshooting routing and switching protocols (BGP, IS-IS, MPLS, RSVP-TE, RSTP, VRRP).
- Experience working with and troubleshooting wireless networks and wireless telecom equipment, including 3G/4G/5G cellular, Wi-Fi, and microwave networks.
- Experience with carrier backhaul technologies, including microwave and optical transport networks.
- Experience validating and benchmarking network and transport hardware using standard industry test tools and equipment (Iperf, Ixia, Spirent, Xena).
- Experience with open source technologies (Openstack, Docker, Swarm/Kubernetes, ONF, OCP).
- Experience configuring and deploying VMs and Cloud Infrastructure (AWS, Azure).
- Experience building technical documentation to include procedure, training materials, user guides, and customer documentation.
- Hands-on experience working with AC/DC power, fiber, and copper cabling.
- Experience with network deployments in emerging markets.
- Develop test automation frameworks.
- Experience in developing network operations tools (e.g., collections systems, software push systems, etc.).
- Experience conducting executive-level briefings.
Back to top