Network Engineer, Backbone
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Facebook’s global network comprised of cutting-edge platforms is looking for a Network Engineer to join the Backbone Engineering team focused on IP/MPLS Core technologies. This team is responsible for Planning, designing, implementing and supporting one of the world’s largest and most complex networks. In the Network Engineer role , you will be in charge of designing and implementing how we build, model, analyze and monitor Facebook’s current backbone and optical network. You will work closely with other engineers with a wide variety of deep technical expertise in IP and Optical networking to drive forward new designs and building associated software systems as we move towards building intelligent networks. This position is full-time and located in our Menlo park office.
- Work with other team members and groups to develop scalable network designs, solutions and policy recommendations
- Build Software Infrastructure for network monitoring and analysis, aid in capacity planning and architecture change analysis.
- Integrate with other systems using Rest APIs, Netconf/Yang and OpenConfig models, evaluate third party solutions, influence vendor solutions and standard adoptions.
- Evaluate deployment architectures and translate them to internal and external requirements/roadmaps
- Contribute to plans and workflows for sustainable growth and performance across all aspects of Facebook’s network infrastructure
- Bachelors in Computer Science or related field is preferred
- Experience with network devices such as routers, switches and concepts of optical DWDM networks.
- Experience with design and implementation of network management systems
- 2+ years of experience in C / C++ and Python
- Experience with ISIS, BGP, MPLS and knowledge of the latest trends in programmability of networks (OpenConfig, NetConf, YANG, etc)
- Solid understanding of the Linux operating system
- Ability to debug issues within custom code
- A passion for developing scalable and optimized software systems
- High aptitude and technology-agnostic approach to engineering.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top