Network Deployment Engineer, Intern
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook's Edge & Network Service (ENS) team is actively looking for passionate people to help us tackle the unique set of challenges and opportunities we face as we scale our Edge and backbone footprint. Our team is the execution arm of the network team and is responsible for the deployment and support of all production networks (Edge, Backbone, Optical, and Datacenter) as well as our content delivery network (CDN) across the globe. We have entered into a new era of unprecedented opportunities to re-think traditional networking and iterate quickly in an area that was previously very closed to innovation. This truly global team offers a unique career opportunity to work with all of the latest network technologies and talented engineers solving some of the most complex problems in the industry. This is a full-time, 12 week internship position based at our headquarters in Menlo Park, CA.
- Assist in optical and IP deployment project in region
- Support and lead implementation of Facebook's production network infrastructure in edge and backbone
- Perform hands on troubleshooting and repair of network hardware, software, and network circuits
- Perform network maintenance including hardware and software upgrades, migrations, decommissioning, and capacity upgrades
- Manage and update work assignments through our internal task tools and repair ticketing systems
- Maintain asset database and related documentation for installed network infrastructure
- Work cross-functionally to plan and execute on projects and manage operational incidents
- Optimize process and/or tool during internship to add efficiency in workflows
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Must be currently enrolled in a full-time degree program and returning to the program after the completion of the internship/co-op
- Understand physical site requirements for optical transport installation, power, space, and fiber.
- Basic knowledge of DWDM technologies
- Pursuing a BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, Telecommunications, or a related technical discipline
- Knowledge of configuring and troubleshooting IP routing/switching technologies and protocols in a dual-stack environment
- Experience with IPv6
- Familiarity with programming/scripting languages (perl, python, bash, etc.)
- UNIX/Linux and TCP/IP network fundamentals
- Ability to communicate cross-functionally and solve problems under pressure
- Troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Ability to obtain and maintain work authorization in the country of employment in 2018
- Ability to lift/move 30-40 pounds on a daily basis
- Experience coding in at least one language, preferably for network or systems automation
- Build and scale mindset
- - Innovate to Scale: - This person should have the ability to identify repetitive and time-consuming tasks that can be automated to save time and resources. This person should have a systematic approach to his work, always thinking of how tooling and automation or reengineering of business processes can be leveraged to streamline and standardize network deployment and support activities while scaling with the needs of business.
- - Moving Fast: This person needs to be a master of prioritization and quickly ramp to the speed at which we do work at Facebook. I expect this person to be able to decipher signal vs. noise, quickly gain context, and begin prioritizing impactful work. I also expect to understand when it's time to slow down, e.g. meticulous documentation. This person needs to be able to operate autonomously with minimal supervision and thrive in our fast-paced environment.
Back to top