The mission of the Oculus Product Design Engineering team is to develop and launch world-class hardware that enables next-generation VR experiences. We work closely with a wide array of creative, technical and operations partners as we push the boundaries of what is possible.
As a Mechanical/Thermal Architect at Oculus, you will take a critical role in bringing VR to our customers. You will develop thermal solutions for next-generation consumer virtual reality hardware. You will take the lead exploring and refining major elements of consumer VR hardware through hands-on, iterative prototyping, while working with a team of diverse, top engineers. You will refine selected designs and coordinate with manufacturing experts during the production process. We are looking for someone with a productive mindset who can apply their mechanical engineering expertise to solve problems in creative, insightful ways. Our ideal candidate has a strong thermal design background, excellent prototyping skills, 3D CAD capability, and experience in designing and manufacturing consumer technology products.
Extensive cross-functional collaboration and documentation and communication skills will be required to deliver production-development ready architectures.
- Provide cross-functional leadership and direction in the development of product thermal architectures.
- Collaborate with designers and other engineers (EE/ME/Test) to identify challenges, strategically create simulations, build and conduct tests, and present findings to designers and other engineers early and often.
- Build thermal prototypes in the lab for early validation.
- Scale efforts by leveraging internal/external resources.
- Serve as resident thermal expert to help expand general team knowledge of thermal design.
- Contribute to the creation of technical specifications and product definition.
- Create processes to assure early analysis and design validation of critical issues.
- Able to organize and lead design and technical reviews.
- Advance team capabilities by continually being aware of new thermal management technology and leveraging latest features in software tools.
- Perform or lead testing to measure product performance and validate thermal analysis.
- Present results in a form actionable by cross-functional team members.
- Drive failure analysis, root cause efforts, and design of experiments to resolve problems.
- BS or higher in Mechanical Engineering.
- 6+ years of experience in the mechanical engineering of mass-produced consumer electronics.
- 6+ years of experience in 3D modeling in Unigraphics NX, SolidWorks or Pro/ENGINEER.
- 3+ years of experience defining and driving product architectures for electronic devices.
- Experience with every stage of the product development process.
- Knowledge in mechanical fundamentals, tolerance analysis, Root Cause Analysis, DFM/DFA and DFMEA.
- Experience in designing parts and assemblies adhering to cosmetic requirements.
- Experience designing stamped, CNC, MIM and plastic injection molded parts.
- Knowledge of human factors, safety and regulatory, and electrical engineering concerns.
- Experience driving China-based vendors remotely and in-person, including a variety of engineering engagement models (CM, JDM and ODM).
- Experience with mechanism design and design analysis.
- Mandarin and/or Cantonese language skills.
- Experience with optical systems, depth sensors, image sensors.
- Experience with wearable technologies and technical soft goods.
- Experience with complex thermal systems.
Back to top