Mechanical Process Engineer - AR/VR Labs
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
AR/VR Labs has the responsibility of developing and maturing new technology to a point where it can be introduced into hardware products. We do this by designing, fabricating, assembling, and integrating mechanical and electrical parts to deliver prototypes of new Augmented and Virtual Reality hardware devices. This is a full-time position based in our Menlo Park office.
- Build the mechanical prototyping capability as a strong and effective contributor to the teamâ€™s success
- Work closely with cross-functional leads to build first of demos and prototypes to test core concepts, technology edges, and the intersection of tech with human interaction
- Push boundaries and test limits to create innovative proof of concepts, design testing systems, design and implement shop/lab equipment and support a diverse prototype pipeline
- Contribute to the creative and technical solution to realize a prototype from idea, concept, design, fabrication and assembly in the most effective and quickest manner
- Define world-class manufacturing processes to bring to bring new technology to consumer devices
- Support Technical Program Leaders in the development of new technologies and remove manufacturing barriers from the path to commercialization
- Support high volume production of products taking ownership of the most challenging and new areas of manufacturing
- Support the Supply Chain team to define equipment and process required to produce a given product
- Provide onsite support at manufacturing and partner sites during development and product ramp
- Experience in design, rapid prototyping, test & evaluation, external vendors & supplies in novel or traditional fabrication methods and materials.
- Experience integrating novel technologies into functional demos to test/evaluate core concepts.
- CAD/CAM experience with lathes, mills, waterjet cutters, 3D printers as well as operation of manual tools.
- Experience in startups and companies across industries.
- Process knowledge with surface finishing such as blasting, polishing, anodizing, paint and ink and joining techniques such as laser welding, gluing, ultrasonic welding, and heat staking.
- Experience in part creation processes including CNC milling/turning, plastic injection molding, stamping, MIM, casting etc.
- Knowledge for science and technology.
- Experience with high tech and high quality consumer hardware.
- B.S./B.A. in engineering/scientific discipline or 4+ years of similar experience.
- Ability to thrive in an extremely dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Passion for Facebookâ€™s mission of Bringing the World Closer together.
- 5+ years hands-on experience building, testing and evaluating hardware & software systems.
Back to top