Mechanical Lead, Skunkworks, Building 8
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we're just getting started.
Building 8 brings together world-class experts to develop and ship groundbreaking products at the intersection of hardware, software, and content. We have a clear mandate to ship products at scale. In particular, seemingly impossible products that define new categories that advance Facebook's mission of connecting the world. The B8 team will apply DARPA-style breakthrough development at the intersection of ambitious science and product development. It will operate on aggressive, fixed timelines, with extensive use of partnerships in universities, small and large businesses. The Product Launch Team has the responsibility for taking breakthroughs and delivering them to market at scale. Building 8 seeks a Skunkworks Mechanical Lead with the ability to take concepts to the prototyping phase and iterate directly with subject matter experts to explore new hardware technologies. We are looking for a slightly impatient individual willing to face down their fear of failure to accomplish bold things. This is a full time position based in our Menlo Park Office.
- Build the mechanical prototyping capability as a strong and effective contributor to Building 8's success.
- Work closely with cross functional leads to build first of demos and prototypes to test core concepts, technology edges, and the intersection of tech with human interaction.
- Push boundaries and test limits to create innovative proof of concepts, design testing systems, design and implement shop/lab equipment and support a diverse prototype pipeline.
- Contribute to the creative and technical solution to realize a prototype from idea, concept, design, fabrication and assembly in the most effective and quickest manner
- Manage fabrication across internal and external suppliers to ensure quality and speed
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Design skills, rapid prototyping, test & evaluation, external vendors & supplies in novel or traditional fabrication methods and materials.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate novel technologies into functional demos to test/evaluate core concepts.
- Knowledge in science and technology.
- 5+ years hands-on experience building, testing and evaluating hardware & software system
- CAD/CAM experience in lathes, mills, waterjet cutters, 3d printers as well as operation of manual tools.
- Experience in startups and companies across diverse industries.
- B.S./B.A. in engineering/scientific discipline or equivalent years of experience.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top