Mechanical Engineer, Interaction Tracking
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
As a Mechanical Engineer at Facebook Reality Labs, you will develop state of the art prototype structures, mechanisms, and solutions for future consumer virtual and augmented reality (VR, AR) experiences. You will be part of a team exploring new concepts and experiences through fast iterative prototyping. We want people who work well in teams, can brainstorm big ideas, work in new technology areas, able to drive a concept into a prototype. Starting with a broad mechanical engineering background, you are willing to become an expert in new areas and quickly build hardware using novel ways or materials, integrating structures, etc. We are looking for someone to drive the mechanical engineering efforts for both small and large-scale research projects collaborating closely with other engineering disciplines and research scientists. Work alongside expert Computer Vision Researchers, Electrical Engineers and Software Engineers to deliver real-time 3D tracking technology for social interaction and human-computer interaction in VR and AR.
- Lead Mechanical Engineering efforts on developing or adapting hardware to facilitate various data collection scenarios.
- Brainstorm new architectures and converge on feasible mechanical designs.
- Build, test, and refine prototypes and/or high precision test fixtures.
- Work with other teams on scaling and setting up data collection efforts.
- Collaborate with experts in optical, electrical engineering, computer vision.
- BS or higher in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of mechanical engineering experience
- Experience in 3D modeling
- Experience working in a consumer electronics product environment
- Testing and analysis experience (FEA, Simulation)
- Knowledge of manufacturing techniques (Machining, 3D printing, injection molding, etc.)
- Experience designing and building prototype hardware for research purposes
- Experience with SolidWorks 3D modeling software
- Experience in the design and prototyping of head mounted optics systems
- Knowledge of optics component mounting, interfaces, and adhesive bonding
- Familiar with optoelectrical system components
- Knowledge of servo and electro-mechanical systems
- Familiarity in electrical engineering fundamentals and electrical hardware
- Knowledge of materials and structural modeling/optimization
Back to top