Mechanical Engineer, Interaction
Careers at Oculus
Part of Facebook
As a Mechanical Engineer at Oculus Research, you will develop state of the art prototype structures, mechanisms, and solutions for next generation transformative experiences. You will become part of a team exploring new concepts through analytical modeling and fast iterative prototyping. A wide range of approaches will be explored combining electrical, mechanical, optical, firmware, and software techniques. We want people who work well in teams; can brainstorm big ideas; work in new technology areas; able to drive a concept into a prototype; and can envision how a prototype could transition into a high-volume consumer product.Starting with a broad scientific background, be willing to become a quick expert in a new area, and quickly build new prototypes using novel materials and/or by integrating structures in new ways leveraging a strong mechanical background. Frequently only one or two design facets will be new so you'll be in a supporting role; sometimes, the mechanics will be new and you'll be the star. We're looking for a hands-on builder of systems that can deal with sub-micron tolerances, or equivalent experience with high precision mechanical design.
- Lead Mechanical Engineering activities in a cross-functional team environment.
- Model, build, test, and refine prototypes
- Participate on a research team providing advice/guidance/insights to your peers in your area(s) of expertise.
- Apply rigorous engineering and tolerance techniques to high precision design requirements in the areas such as Optics, Mechanics, and Motion Control.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Understands and applies of GD&T techniques and knows associated metrology approaches.
- 5+ years working on high precision ME designs in optics, mechanism, or mechatronics designs.
- Testing and analysis capability (FEA, Simulation, Zemax, Ray Tracing skills, etc.).
- Knowledge of manufacturing techniques (Machining, 3D printing, injection molding, etc.).
- Experience in 3D design modeling (SolidWorks is our standard) and physical prototyping
- 10+ years of proven product design/prototyping and R & D experience, including full systems ownership.
- Design and prototyping of head mounted optics systems.
- Experience with mechanical and optics metrology devices such as CMM, OMM, interferometry.
- Knowledge of optics component mounting, interfaces, and adhesive bonding.
- Knowledge of servo and electro-mechanical systems, MEMS, or other high precision actuators.
- Knowledge of materials and structural modeling/optimization.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top