Careers at Oculus
Part of Facebook
As a Mechanical Engineer at Oculus Research, you will develop state of the art prototype structures, mechanisms, and solutions for next generation near to eye display (NED) and Imaging Systems to create transformative experiences. You will become part of a team exploring new concepts through analytical modeling and fast iterative prototyping. A wide range of approaches will be explored combining electrical, mechanical, optical, firmware, and software techniques. We want people who work well in teams; can brainstorm big ideas; work in new technology areas; able to drive a concept into a prototype; and can envision how a prototype could transition into a high-volume consumer product.Starting with a broad scientific background, be willing to become a quick expert in a new area, and quickly build new prototypes using novel materials and/or by integrating structures in new ways leveraging a strong mechanical background. Frequently only one or two design facets will be new so you'll be in a supporting role; sometimes, the mechanics will be new and you'll be the star. We're looking for a hands-on builder of opto-mechanical systems that can deal with sub-micron tolerances, or equivalent experience with high precision mechanical design.
- Lead Mechanical Engineering activities in cross-functional team environment.
- Model, build, test, and refine prototypes
- Participate on a research team providing advice/guidance/insights to your peers in your area(s) of expertise.
- Apply rigorous engineering and tolerance techniques to high precision design requirements in the areas such as Optics, Mechanics, and Motion Control.
- Take prototypes to increasing levels of fidelity, implementing SWaP-C design choices to take prototypes into product
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- 10+ years of product design/prototyping experience, with a combination of focus in areas of precision mechanisms, mechatronics, electro-mechanical systems, actuation systems, and optics, including full system ownership.
- Experience in 3D design modeling
- Testing and analysis capability (FEA, Motion Simulation, Cosmos, ANSYS, etc.).
- Experience in various manufacturing techniques (Machining, 3D printing, injection molding, etc.).
- Experience applying GD&T techniques.
- MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Design and prototyping of head mounted optics systems.
- Precision (sub-micron) Optical System design
- Thermal and Flow analysis (Icepak, Cosmos Flow, etc.)
- Mass Production experience (working with over-seas manufacturing)
- Experience in SolidWorks 3D modeling software
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top