Mechanical Design Engineer, Connectivity Lab
(Woodland Hills, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer to join our Connectivity Lab Team. We believe connecting the world is one of the greatest challenges of our generation, and that everyone deserves access to the knowledge, tools and opportunities that come from being connected. That's why we, along with other tech companies, launched Internet.org (http://internet.org/), a global partnership to make the Internet available to the two thirds of the world's population that doesn't have it. The Connectivity Lab is doing research to develop the next generation technologies to connect everyone on the planet to the Internet. We are developing complex communications technologies that bring together electro-optical, opto-mechanical, and software systems in an integrated package. The successful candidate will have experience taking the constituent elements of complex payloads and developing them into integrated systems, including fixture design, integration procedures, environmental testing, specifying and standing up test assets, and creating and executing verification and validation matrices. This position is located in our Woodland Hills office (near Los Angeles).
- Will design and implement complex mechanical assemblies that will be matured to hardware implementation.
- Will perform thermal, structural, and mechanical integrity modeling and analysis to predict and optimize the system performance.
- Work with cross-functional teams to develop innovative technologies and products.
- Will develop specifications, tolerances and assembly drawings for components to systems.
- Rapidly design, build and test risk reduction prototype and engineering models.
- Take prototypes to increasing levels of fidelity, considering Design for Manufacturability principles, and implementing SWaP-C design choices to take prototypes into product. Interface with fabrication houses (e.g. machine shops and composite material vendors).
- A generalist mechanical engineer with minimum of bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with a minimum of 3 years of related experience.
- Experience and knowledge of the following areas: mechanical design, structural and thermal analysis, trade studies, fabrication, assembly and test.
- Self-starter, who works both individually and in team settings, who can take on tasks from start to finish, with minimum supervision.
- Working knowledge of engineering and analysis tools and software, e.g., SolidWorks, MATLAB, and ANSYS.
- Experience optimizing product designs using FEA and CFD for shock and vibration, thermal and system performance.
- Experience with maturing prototypes and technology demonstrations into manufacturable products at scale.
- Experience in any of the following: optical systems, RF systems, precision mechanisms, electronics packaging, airborne and/or space-borne payload/platform integration, prototype hardware assembly and test, productization and volume manufacturing, industrial automation, dynamics and control systems, mechatronics and robotics, and environmental testing and qualification.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top