Mechanical Design Engineer
The Oculus team at Facebook builds the VR hardware and platform to let you experience anything, anywhere, with anyone. Additionally, Facebook has teams dedicated to building social experiences in VR that make it easier to spend time with your friends, wherever they are. Virtual reality's potential to connect the world is immense-and we're just getting started. Oculus Research is driving the state of the art forward with breakthrough work in computer vision, advanced optics, eye tracking, mixed reality, and new ways to map the human body.
The Automation R&D Team designs modular, fully-automated solutions for product assembly and calibration systems for the cleanroom and beyond. As a Mechanical Design Engineer, you will collaborate with electrical, mechanical, optical, and production engineering teams to develop next generation instrumentation and manufacturing stations. You will ensure that our core foundation is rock solid dependable, drive vendors to realize your vision for instruments and stations and create rapid prototypes as well as reference designs.
While you are an expert in CAD and hands-on design, you also have the broad technical background necessary to collaborate effectively across multiple disciplines. You have the organizational and documentation skills required to efficiently drive outside vendors and push projects forward on all fronts. You are able to quickly instrument and validate systems, driving towards successfully hitting KPI's and taking lessons learned to improve designs.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to capture system requirements
- Quickly create and build subassembly prototypes hands-on
- Design complete product calibration and assembly stations
- Source critical mechanical system parts and tools
- Define and build mechanical system BOMs
- Qualify and support external vendors and system integrators
- Inspect and assemble first article machined parts and assemblies
- Support integration of electrical and optical components
- Benchmark variety of approaches for accuracy and throughput and report results
- Stay up to date on state of the art techniques for developing complex instruments and systems
- MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 7+ years of experience designing industrial/calibration equipment
- Experience in design and simulation of assemblies within SolidWorks
- Knowledge of machine vision optical systems, cameras and lenses
- Knowledge in design process and experience developing and executing validation test plans
- Mechanical and process documentation experience
- Experience designing/producing/inspecting end-use parts with CNC and 3D-printing
- Experience with NX
- Ability to code and debug in Python
- Human factors design experience
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top