Manufacturing Design Engineer, Mechanical
The Manufacturing Design Engineering (MDE) Team has the responsibility for evaluating technologies and identifying supply chain solutions that allow Tech Ops to deliver products to market at scale. Tech Ops Supply Chain seeks a Manufacturing Design Engineer (MDE) focused on manufacturing, process and supplier qualification. We are looking for an individual willing to work independently to accomplish bold things.
The role of a Mechanical MDE who is both technically proficient to work with the engineering design and Operations teams, but also experienced in supply chain and manufacturing to bring that hardware tooling/fixture, process and technology into the mass production. Specific hardware development and tooling/fixture knowledge is required and the candidate must have demonstrated knowledge of tooling components and systems, understanding key factors in both the development, qualification, and manufacturing aspects of tooling products. Your role will be to act as the interface between the Tech Ops Engineering, Supply Chain, and Manufacturing teams to implement and execute comprehensive process and technical solutions for our products.
- Work with Supply Chain, Operation and Engineering Team to identify the best supplier partners to meet product requirements from both technical perspective as well as supply chain and manufacturing considerations
- Work with supplier, review and approve tooling, fixture and process DFM.
- Interface directly with the Supply Chain, Quality, Engineering and Vendor teams to drive tooling/fixture procedures and processes, including FAI, Cpk qualifications, Reliability, Production and Final Acceptance
- Drive suppliers to optimize processes for cycle time reduction, automation, cost saving, LEAN manufacturing of the product
- Responsible for MIP (Manufacturing & Inspection Plan) document process control and maintain this process control with vendor on our products
- Work directly with the vendor engineers to provide expertise in tooling/fixture, equipment, process set-ups and qualifications for mass-production
- Collaborate with engineering personnel to determine critical part features and review manufacturability of design. Make recommendations to modify part specifications and tolerances as necessary to adapt development processes for high volume production and support cost effective production
- Coordination and travel to suppliers (foreign and domestic) to establish technical and manufacturing processes required during product development (Proto, EVT, DVT, PVT) and volume manufacturing ramp
- BS or MS degree in engineering or related field
- 7+ years of experience in Mechanical, specifically in process development, tooling manufacturing or Operation skills
- Knowledgeable and hands on metal and plastic process fabrications, molding, stamping, CNC, sand blasting, Anodization, spray painting, pad printing, Heat Staking and Assembly processes.
- Knowledgeable in conducting multiple DOEs and SPC methodology for data collection
- Using statistical process control tool (JMP or Minitab) to analyze data from DOE and provide solutions and recommendations to Engineering and Design Team for process improvement and process capabilities
- Experience working with in-region Supply Chain vendors (especially in Mainland China)
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Mandarin required
- Moderate travel within Mainland China with some travel to Asia Pacific region and US
Back to top