Manufacturing Design Engineer (MDE) Mechanical
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Manufacturing Design Engineering (MDE) Team has the responsibility for evaluating technologies and identifying supply chain solutions that allow Tech Ops to deliver products to market at scale. Tech Ops Supply Chain seeks a Manufacturing Design Engineer (MDE) focused on manufacturing, process development and supplier qualification. We are looking for an individual willing to work independently to accomplish bold things.
The role of a Mechanical MDE who is both technically proficient to work with the engineering design and Operations teams, but also experienced in supply chain and manufacturing to bring that hardware tooling/fixture, process and technology into the mass production. Specific hardware development and tooling/fixture knowledge is required, and the candidate must have demonstrated knowledge of tooling components and systems, understanding key factors in both the development, qualification, and manufacturing aspects of tooling/fixture products. This role is based in Menlo Park (MPK). Your role will be to act as the interface between the Tech Ops Engineering, Supply Chain, Manufacturing teams and also interact with the MDE and SQE Team in APAC to implement and execute comprehensive process and technical solutions for our products.
- Work with Supply Chain, Operation and Engineering Team to identify the best supplier partners to meet product requirements from both technical perspective as well as supply chain and manufacturing considerations
- Work directly with our supply chain, Product Design, Industrial Design to provide expertise in tooling/fixture, equipment, process set-ups and qualifications for mass-production
- Collaborate with Product Design team to determine critical part features and review manufacturability of design. Make recommendations to modify part specifications and tolerances as necessary to adapt development processes for high volume production and support cost effective production
- Work closely with APAC MDE to review and approve tooling, fixture and process DFM
- Interface with APAC MDE directly to develop tooling/fixture procedures and processes, including FAI, Cpk qualifications, Reliability, Production and Final Acceptance
- Work closely with APAC MDE to drive suppliers to optimize processes for cycle time reduction, automation, cost saving, LEAN manufacturing of the product
- Interface with APAC MDE and SQE to drive product cosmetic standard on volume manufacturing ramp with Industrial Design (ID) and Product Design
- Responsible for MIP (Manufacturing & Inspection Plan) document process control and maintain this process control with vendor on our products
- Coordination and travel to suppliers (APAC) and work closely with APAC MDE to establish technical and manufacturing processes required during product development (Proto, EVT, DVT) and volume manufacturing ramp (PVT)
- Moderate travel to APAC (especially Mainland China) with some travel to Asia Pacific region
- BS or MS degree in engineering or related field
- 7+ years of experience in Mechanical, specifically in process development, tooling manufacturing or Operation experience
- Knowledge of hands-on metal and plastic process fabrications, molding, stamping, die casting, CNC, sand blasting, Anodization, spray painting, pad printing, Heat Staking, PSA die cut, glue dispensing and sub-assembly processes
- Knowledge in conducting multiple DOEs and SPC methodology for data collection
- Experience using statistical process control tool (JMP or Minitab) to analyze data from DOE and provide solutions and recommendations to Engineering and Product Design Team for process improvement and process capabilities
- Experience working with APAC Supply Chain vendors (especially in Mainland China)
Back to top