Manager, Thermal Engineering
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Thermal Engineering Manager to join our Server Design Team. Our servers and datacenters are the foundations upon which our rapidly scaling infrastructure efficiently operates and upon which our innovative services are delivered. To support this mission, an optimized thermal design becomes more and more important to enable the evolvement and adoption of new hardware technology while achieving our most efficient operation. As a Thermal manager, you will lead the team to drive thermal design across various hardware projects and make sure the product meet the thermal requirement of our data center operating environment. We look for managers who have a solid technical understanding of optimized thermal design, strong communication skills to build a tight partnership with stakeholders and leaders, and extensive team management experience to build a great and strong thermal engineering team. This position is full-time and located in our Menlo Park office.
- Lead thermal engineering team to drive and deliver optimal thermal design through project execution across hardware projects.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across hardware design/validation, technical product management, data center design/operation, supply chain and capacity planning to ensure correct design target achieved and the right thermal solution implemented.
- Manage the communication of tactical and strategic information between engineers and leadership for teams to be successful. Initiate and coordinate conversations and meetings as needed.
- Work with teams to set clear expectations and goals for the thermal team to ensure each individual’s effort aligned with the whole hardware team’s goal and direction.
- Ensure team resource in good shape to support the work demands, with a proactive plan and responsive adjustment. Apply correct priority and make sure good alignment across teams and projects.
- Work with team members for development and growth, with a clear understanding of areas of strength and interest.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a thermal engineering manager working across all of the following areas: mechanical, thermal.
- 10+ years of thermal engineering industry experience.
- Experience with fluid dynamic and heat transfer (conduction/convection/radiation)
- Experience in the mathematical, computational and numerical models of industrial cooling systems
- Familiarity with analytical and computational tools (Flotherm,Ansys Icepak)
- Ability to understand various data center cooling design.
- Familiarity with optimization of server system thermal design for data center operation
- Familiarity with analytical and computational tools (MatLab, Future Facilities, Fluent CFD, Microsoft office, SolidWork, and Lab View)
- Ability to understand server architecture and its associated thermal constraints
- Experience with data center construction and facility operation.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top