Manager, Thermal Design and Analysis - Facebook Reality Labs
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook Reality Labs's Simulation team models and simulates the real-world conditions and scenarios under which our products must perform. We provide the objective, physics-based analysis that enables our engineering development partners to design with confidence. The goal of our team is to minimize program risk, improve product performance, and reduce development cycles through systematic design optimization. We accomplish this through the rigorous application of engineering fundamentals and validate our guidance through empirical testing.
We are looking for a technically-savvy and experienced people manager to lead and grow our team of highly accomplished thermal design and analysis engineers. The ideal candidate will be committed to fostering a collaborative and inclusive work environment where every team member is empowered to leverage their strengths in order to deliver their best impact. They will also demonstrate strong communication skills, the capacity to connect meaningfully with their direct reports, and the skill with which to drive consensus and collaboration across functional organizations.
- Manage and lead the team of thermal design and analysis engineers that architect, develop, validate and ultimately own the thermal performance for Facebook's family of hardware products
- Foster the growth of each team member's careers by assigning them to projects tailored to their skill levels, long-term goals, personalities, and work styles
- Identify and encourage the development of technical leaders in the field of advanced thermal management for consumer electronics
- Support the performance review process and provide critical and constructive feedback
- Drive cross-functional consensus building in a highly ambiguous environment
- Set clear expectations and create a positive, supportive, and inclusive work environment based on individual accountability
- Promote strong, effective communication and collaboration with our cross-functional, technical and non-technical partners
- Champion engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics and process for regular assessment and improvement
- Synthesize learnings to develop and implement both tactical and strategic team and org-based improvement initiatives
- Evangelize the team's capabilities and accomplishments across the company and organization
- Work closely with Recruiting to grow the team by attracting, interviewing, hiring and onboarding highly-qualified and diverse candidates
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience building, managing, or leading teams of at least five (5) full-time engineers
- Proven track record of leading and managing high-functioning technical teams
- Proven track record of mentorship, career development, strength finding, and team building
- Proven track record of building relationships, fostering collaboration, driving consensus and conflict resolution, and working cross-functionally with multidisciplinary teams
- Experience developing and managing budgets, workloads, external vendor engagements, and resource planning
- Demonstrated experience with communicating complex technical concepts and issues clearly to audiences
- Proven track record of leading and managing thermal design and analysis teams focused on the development and launch of cutting-edge consumer electronics products
- Experience delivering analysis and developing solutions for complex, mass-produced, consumer electronics products
- Experience using a data-driven approach to analyze problems and deliver credible, robust, and optimized solutions
- Experienced at designing, building and testing thermal prototypes to validate analysis
- Functional knowledge of mechanical, electrical, electronic and optical components
- Experience with the design, development and launch of consumer electronic products
- Understanding of the thermo-mechanical properties and conjugate behaviors for a broad spectrum of materials, for example glass, laminated composite structures, ceramic, plastic, polymers, and adhesives
- Experience completing hand calculations and second-order simulations (lumped capacitance, MATLAB, etc.)
- Experience using commercial Finite Element Analysis and numerical modeling tools such as FlothermXT, Flotherm, FloEFD, SimCenter 3D, ANSYS Mechanical, Icepak, Fluent, Abaqus, Comsol, Star-CCM+, etc.
- Experience with 3D modeling software (NX, SolidWorks, Creo)
- Experience architecting products around thermal and structural solutions
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top