Manager, Systems Engineering
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
The Data Center Systems Engineering team works at the confluence of Facebook's compute, storage and networking hardware and our data center electrical, mechanical and network infrastructure. This position is in the newly formed Data Center Site Engineering team and will collaborate with the Facebook teams designing and operating our data centers and hardware. The manager will build and mentor a team of engineers who view these elements as a large-scale system and will solve system-level issues as they arise. More importantly, they will prevent them from occurring by influencing the design of the constituent elements.The ideal candidate has significant experience leading a team that developed enterprise or cloud-scale hardware and will use this experience to understand how those products interact with each other and the surrounding infrastructure.This is a full-time position and is located in Menlo Park, CA.
- Recruit, mentor and lead a small, highly functional team of engineers focused on improving the operational efficiency
- Assure delivery of designs, product introductions, and process improvements that drive more efficient operations in a complex data center environment
- Collaborate with data center Site Operations and Facilities Operations teams, and Hardware Design and Release-to Production teams to understand issues affecting operational scalability of Facebook data centers and POPs
- Work with these internal groups and external consultants to perform complex, system-level troubleshooting, as needed
- Use the knowledge gained to highlight opportunities for significant engineering improvements and lead high impact, measurable, cross-functional initiatives
- Establish and refine Key Performance Indicators and engineering performance targets for new hardware and sustaining operations. Consistently deliver to these targets
- Drive Infrastructure, Data Center best practices through crisp processes, documentation, and training materials
- Travel approximately 25% to support field installations, evaluate new products and processes, and drive industry standards
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Physics
- 10+ years of experience in a leadership position developing hardware products and systems for compute, storage or networking applications
- Engineering domain knowledge in one or more areas including: circuits, systems, networking, optics, electrical power, cooling
- Collaboration abilities and influencing skills
- Advanced Engineering or Physics degree
- Experience with large-scale cloud environments in compute, storage or networking
- Experience with data center electrical and mechanical systems
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top