Manager, System Engineering
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook operates on a truly unprecedented scale. Managing such incredible amounts of data and traffic requires unconventional thinking and coming up with lightning fast solutions in real time. As an Engineering Manager in our Hardware team, he/she will lead an engineering team at the intersection of data center hardware and software.
Your team will build hardware agnostics API's that break free of monolithic software systems, track the health of one of the world's largest data centers, and build robust firmware management systems.
Leading a team at the leading edge of data center technology requires a comprehensive expertise of Linux systems and server hardware. Your work will also contribute to our Open Compute Project (OCP) that is chaining that empowers our open source hardware community to benefit from what we have learned creating data centers that empower the world to build social value. This position is full-time and based at our Menlo Park, CA. office.
- Lead a team of best-in-class engineers working on our new hardware deployments.
- Create and enable software infrastructure to track, upgrade and maintain Facebook's data center fleet that connects over 2-billion users.
- Developing Bare-metal monitoring tools for data centers.
- Work with production engineering teams to enable new hardware SKUs, and improve the automation of provisioning and remediation capabilities.
- Partner with technical product management, production engineering, kernel development, hardware engineering, sustaining engineering, and other related groups.
- Help engineers develop their careers, assigning them to projects tailored to their skill levels, long-term skill development, personalities, and work styles.
- Assess employee performance frequently, recognize and promote excellent performance.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of direct management experience in a technology company or experience as a technical lead and formal project management or business training.
- Experience in Linux Systems including host/client side software architectures and TCP/IP.
- Experience with data center hardware (compute, storage and networking) and components.
- Experience with managing large-scale fleets of hardware including health checks and remediation.
- Experience coding in at least one language (even if it is not one that Facebook uses).
- Knowledge of network and server provisioning and the software processes needed to prepare hardware for operation.
- Communications experience.
- Experience dealing with people and facilitating teams to find solutions to problems.
- Proven experience operating autonomously across multiple teams.
- Experience with Puppet or Chef or similar tools.
- Experience in Linux provisioning.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top