Manager, System Engineering
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
As a Systems Engineering Manager at Facebook focuses on Facebook's hardware fleet by providing hardware agnostic APIs, device management, health tracking and a robust firmware management system. In addition, the team provides support, with a focus on provisioning, for New Product Introduction hardware programs and products to be deployed in our fleet.System Engineer work with all of Facebook's other product and infrastructure teams, sometimes embedded in those teams. Managing the Systems Engineering team requires a comprehensive understanding of a wide range of hardware and software infrastructure technologies and a focus on growing and developing the skills and talents of your team.
- Manage engineers working with the engineering teams on our new hardware deployments. Augment and enable software infrastructure to manage, maintain and track hardware in our growing fleet.
- Develop systems that proactively capture health status of various hardware components. Provide software capabilities to upgrade all elements of the hardware fleet.
- Understand provisioning software and work with production engineering teams to enable new hardware SKUs, and improve the automation of provisioning and remediation capabilities.
- Partner with technical product management, production engineering, kernel development, hardware engineering, sustaining engineering, and other related groups
- Help engineers develop their careers, assigning them to projects tailored to their skill levels, long-term skill development, personalities, and work styles
- Assess employee performance frequently, recognize and promote excellent performance
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 5 years of direct management experience in a technology company or extensive experience as a technical lead and formal project management or business training
- Experience in Linux and TCP/IP network fundamentals.
- Experience with data center hardware (compute, storage and networking) and components.
- Experience with managing large scale fleets of hardware including health checks and remediation.
- Ability to code in at least one language (even if it is not one that Facebook uses).
- Knowledge of network and server provisioning and the software processes needed to prepare hardware for operation.
- Communications skills.
- Experience dealing with people and facilitating teams to find solutions to problems.
- Proven ability to operate autonomously across multiple teams.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top