Manager, Storage Sourcing
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Did you know Facebook builds all of its own custom server, storage and networking hardware? We also build and run some of the most energy efficient data centers on the planet. Do you want to be part of a small, elite team that is changing the data center hardware industry? The Infrastructure Sourcing team is responsible for all the dollars and cents behind Facebook’s global infrastructure. From the individual components on a board to full-scale data center construction, the team owns the commercial growth strategy and business relationships with various suppliers and manufacturers. Investing in scaling Facebook to reach everyone around the world is critical to fulfilling our mission. The sourcing team moves fast and leverages key partnerships to drive technical innovation, high quality standards and cost-savings via a customized supply chain.
Facebook is looking for a leader for our storage sourcing team supporting our massive data center infrastructure. In this role, you will be responsible for storage component sourcing across our global infrastructure ecosystem, including the commercial, operational and technical performance of our technology and supplier base. Included in this is a team of commodity management and technology professionals. Together with the team and numerous internal partners, you will be responsible for cost, quality and delivery goals for products and materials for the space. This role is based at our headquarters in Menlo Park.
- Develop overall vision, strategy and execution plan for the storage sourcing function
- Develop the overall individual and customized technology and commodity sourcing strategies for each actively managed technology (e.g. overall storage, HDD, Flash and archival)
- Hire, develop and lead a team of technology and component sourcing professionals that are responsible for complete commercial support spanning the concept, prototype, pre-launch validation and mass deployment of infrastructure gear
- Work in partnership with the infrastructure engineering teams to develop a sanctioned supply base, develop strategic partnerships that address our infrastructure needs and on an ongoing basis continuously improve supplier performance
- Partner with hardware engineering and the system sourcing team to continuously improve overall system-level landed cost and to identify strategic trends in Facebook’s design practices that will have an impact on procurement.
- Coordinate and manage the creation, negotiation and enforcement of sourcing contracts
- Identify, develop and deploy key process and operational capabilities that continuously improve the speed, quality and cost of output within the sourcing team.
- Develop cost models to achieve best in class pricing, identify and manage supplier performance improvement programs, drive consistent cost productivity improvement in the supply base, and lead continuous improvement efforts relating to supplier performance in cost, quality and delivery
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain/operations or technical field
- 10+ years of relevant experience in storage commodity and technology management
- Previous experience with hiring, training and developing teams
- Interpersonal and communication skills, with ability to influence, negotiate, build consensus and make key strategic decisions
- Presentation skills and ability to work across all layers of the organization, particularly with cross-functional teams in a fast-paced environment
- Proven experience interfacing with suppliers and managing their performance
- Organizational and time management skills and the ability to execute on multiple tasks simultaneously
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top