Manager, Software Engineering - Portal Technical Program Management
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
Building 8 brings together world-class experts to develop and ship groundbreaking products at the intersection of hardware, software, and content. We have a clear mandate to ship products at scale. In particular, seemingly impossible products that define new categories and that advance Facebookâ€™s mission of connecting the world. The B8 team applies DARPA-style breakthrough development at the intersection of ambitious science and product development. It operates on aggressive, fixed timelines, with extensive use of partnerships in universities, small and large businesses. The Product Launch Team has the responsibility for taking breakthroughs and delivering them to market at scale. We are looking for a Manager for the Technical Program Management team within the Building 8 Application Software organization. Software Technical Program Managers (TPMs) are responsible for planning and delivering large projects end-to-end. Responsibilities include collecting business and technical requirements from various stakeholders, writing specifications, driving project schedules from design to release, and managing the production launch. The right candidate will possess a strong program management background, and will have demonstrated experience leading medium to large projects, and building and growing teams of TPMs. You will have a well-rounded technical background in mobile and web application development. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to manage the team, develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done.
- Responsible for people management of a team, providing performance reviews, continual feedback, coaching and career growth for direct reports.
- Hire and mentor a team of TPMs in Applications software areas.
- Articulate the technology, requirements, goals and milestones of your team.
- Manage cross-functional programs covering a range of areas
- Develop and manage end-to-end project plans and ensure on-time delivery.
- Provide hands on program management during analysis, design, development, testing, implementation, and post implementation phases.
- Perform risk management and change management on projects.
- Provide day-to-day coordination and quality assurance for projects and tasks.
- Drive internal process improvements across multiple teams and functions.
- Interface with Engineering and business owners for program requirements and scope.
- Work with PM and Engineering to define team needs.
- Define and own metrics and key performance indicators.
- 5+ years of experience with building and managing a team of Technical Program Managers.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in technical program management.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Communication and interpersonal skills, including relationship building and collaboration within a diverse, cross- functional team.
- Organizational and coordination skills along with multitasking capabilities to get things done in a fast paced environment.
- Experience understanding product requirements and translating needs into plans.
Back to top