Manager, Software Engineering (Data Privacy)
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook's Data Privacy team builds the systems that safeguard the data of the people who use Facebook. Our work covers a variety of areas, including (1) enforcing proper retention, use, and exposure of user data, consistent with the privacy expectations of the people who use Facebook, (2) ensuring deletion of data that people entrust with us from online storage systems, (3) implementing tools to anonymize data in one of the largest data warehouses in the world, (4) participating in the validation of internal privacy controls, (5) demonstrating the effectiveness of FB's privacy program to external parties, (6), improving our product infrastructure by making it easy for engineers to make the right choices around privacy when building their products, and (7), building innovative experiences which empower even the people with the strongest privacy requirements to stay in control of their data.
We are looking for a strong leader to support and grow our Data Privacy team in Menlo Park. As a successful candidate, you will be a leader who is expected to define and execute a strategy that continually raises the industry bar around how online services handle user data. You will be able to build, grow, and motivate a high performing engineering team that is bold and innovative. You will be an effective communicator regardless of audience or medium and be able to explain complex privacy issues simply. The successful candidate will play a pivotal part in expanding a robust engineering organization tackling some of the hardest problems in the privacy space.
- Define and drive a cohesive, effective and defensible strategy that inspires the team and is easy to understand and communicate both internally and externally.
- Effectively scale the team by attracting and mentoring great people at various levels of experience to grow a well-balanced, high performing team.
- Deliver innovative solutions to minimize the dependence on human decision making in enforcing privacy practices.
- Empower and leverage the open Facebook engineering culture.
- Have passion for privacy and be able to positively spread this enthusiasm to partner teams across the organization.
- Articulate privacy goals clearly and be able to build consensus while avoiding theoretical or hypothetical arguments.
- Proven hands-on technical management experience
- Experience recruiting and managing software engineering teams
- Experience translating technical concepts into language for audiences, including software engineers, business and technical leaders and external privacy community members and press
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science or equivalent
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top