Manager, Software Engineering, Compilers
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The HHVM Team develops HHVM, a state-of-the-art open source Virtual Machine, JIT Compiler and Runtime for executing programs written in Hack. Hack is a dialect of PHP developed internally at Facebook with an advanced static type system and support for gradual typing. HHVM runs the Hack code that implements all of Facebook's business logic.The HHVM team includes experts in programming languages, optimizing compilers, operating systems, computer architecture and performance analysis. Candidates should have a solid background in one or more of these fields, and be conversant in all of them.An essential part of the work of the HHVM team is performance measurement and analysis. This encompasses everything from understanding low level details of CPU architecture and cache optimization to large scale distributed systems and load balancing.HHVM collaborates closely with partner teams working on design and implementation of the Hack Programming Language, teams developing load testing and performance monitoring tools, and teams of product developers with aggressive performance and scalability requirements. Candidates should have experience managing and driving cross-functional partnerships to achieve measurable results.
- Set clear goals for the team and guide them through execution.
- Support a team of diverse technical talent to achieve their best.
- Hold your own in technical discussions, guiding technical specialists in the team to conclusion.
- Conduct design and code reviews with the team.
- Communicate cross-functionally, ensuring effective collaboration across Facebook.
- 3+ years of people management experience.
- Conversant in programming languages such as PHP or Java.
- Experience optimizing compilers, operating systems, computer architecture and performance analysis.
- Demonstrated experience recruiting and managing technical teams, including performance management.
- Knowledge in JIT.
- BA/BS in Computer Science (In lieu of degree, 4+ years similar work experience).
- Knowledge in HHVM or Hack.
- Knowledge in JVM.
Back to top