Manager, Software Engineering - Assistant
- Woodinville, WA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
We are looking for Machine Learning Engineering Managers to join the Facebook Assistant team in Menlo Park, CA and Redmond, WA. The Assistant team built M, Messenger's in-thread assistant that proactively recommends stickers, polls, restaurants, movie tickets and so much more to more than 1.3 billion people that use Facebook Messenger every month. This journey is only 1% finished, and assistant features within Messenger today represent only initial steps in terms of what we expect a truly social assistant to be able to do in the years ahead. We are looking for candidates interested in advancing the state-of-the-art in Conversational AI, especially in areas such as Natural Language Understanding, Dialog Management, Natural Language Generation, and Question Answering.
As an Engineering Manager working within the Assistant Team at Facebook, the ideal candidate will have experience in managing software engineering teams developing Conversational AI systems. As such, strong foundational knowledge of ML, NLP and neural networks and experience working with massive amounts of data will also be necessary. They should also have strong software engineering skills and the ability to build systems that reach Facebook scale.
- Manage and support an engineering team responsible for the systems and technologies applicable across the product
- Have a strong product sense and can connect the product needs with the underlying machine learning tech required to build them
- Define and manage success metrics across teams
- Identify opportunities to share technology across teams and manage partnership opportunities with internal cross-functional partners
- Evangelize technical solutions, frameworks, and best practices across the team and org
- Guide research scientists and engineers in building state of the art in Conversational AI systems
- Provide guidance in developing highly scalable algorithms based on state-of-the-art machine learning and neural network methodologies
- Apply expertise and skills to platform development projects in partnership with other engineering teams
- 5+ years work experience as an engineer developing products related to Conversational AI or similar
- 2+ years experience directly managing a team of engineers
- Experience shipping multiple products across various platforms
- MS degree in Computer Science or related quantitative field with 5+ years of similar experience, or Ph.D. degree in Computer Science or related quantitative field
- Knowledge of machine learning and deep learning research in general
- Knowledge of Natural Language Understanding, Dialog Management and Natural Language Generation
- Experience building systems based on machine learning and/or deep learning methods
- Experience with filesystems, server architectures, and distributed systems
Back to top