Manager, Production Engineering (Network Traffic, CDN)
- Boston, MA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Traffic Production Engineering team is at the heart of delivering content, and great experiences to the 2.7 billion using our family of apps every month. The manager in this team will help to ensure that we have the most reliable and performant CDN in the world. Every day you, and the team will be immersed in scaling and improving this critical infrastructure.
- Support and lead engineers working on Facebook's products and services, at different layers of the stack, on challenges related to scalability, reliability, performance and efficiency of systems.
- Understand and contribute to technical architectures, capacity plans, tooling needs, automation plans, product launch plans and create comprehensive plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges.
- Drive technical architecture discussions, even on subjects you haven't had direct experience working with.
- Develop lasting partnerships with product management, program management, network engineering, software engineering and other related groups to build and improve our ever-growing large-scale distributed infrastructure and product environment.
- Empower engineers to develop their careers, matching their strengths with projects tailored to their skill levels, long-term skill development, personalities, and work styles.
- Help build and enrich an inclusive work environment comprised of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Assess employee performance on an ongoing basis, address under-performance, and recognize and promote performance.
- Work closely with dedicated recruiting staff to expand the team including interviewing candidates, participating in conferences/events, and on-boarding new employees.
- Balance the need to "keep things running" with allocating time to long-term, high-impact projects.
- Investigate and determine improvements in our CDN infrastructure to improve performance, and increase reliability.
- 5+ years of experience in a software engineering role.
- 4+ years of direct management experience in a technology role.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Experience with building teams and/or organizations, including hiring and managing performance.
- Experience with different methods of engineering and knowing when to experiment with them.
- Experience working in distributed and highly available environments.
- Experience with systems, networking, and troubleshooting.
- Experience drafting and reviewing code.
- Experience with host layer networking and underlying protocols TCP, UDP, and TLS. Bonus points if you're familiar with QUIC.
- Experience building and scaling CDN infrastructure.
- Experience with distributed caching technologies, image transcoding, and video streaming (ingress and egress).
Back to top