Manager, Production Engineering
- Denver, CO
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook seeks to recruit a new Manager, Production Engineering for Network. The successful candidate will lead various teams in the production engineering space and will be involved in the development of the infrastructure as well as building the organization to support it. She/he will work closely with the software engineering teams building infrastructure and will focus on driving scalability, stability, security, reliability, operability of services, and security. She/he must understand the demands of managing a 24x7 application at large-scale.The successful candidate will have experience building teams and grooming/mentoring team members. Specifically, she/he will be an innovative, intellectually curious, tinkerer-type and a strong problem solver who stays current on modern solutions and best practices. She/he will participate, contribute and drive technical discussions with the teams. This candidate does not need to have the "correct" answer to everything, but rather should be able to drive the conversation toward a productive solution by including all the right stakeholders, weighing pros/cons, business needs, timelines, etc. One of Production Engineerings core values is to "get things done" through hard work and flexibility. The successful candidate will be able to lead from the front and be able to drive the team's mission forward.
- Build and lead a world-class team of engineers capable of scaling with Facebook through a period of continued high-growth
- Manage and mentor portions of the existing production engineering team
- Able to manage and challenge high performers as well as performance manage those who need more help
- Set standards for deployments at scale, infrastructure reliability, and scalability
- Team with technical functions across the company to ensure all organizations are in sync
- Continue to improve the thriving engineering culture across all tech functions
- Serve as an evangelist for the team and overall culture, both internally and externally
- Experience with mission critical systems or products
- Working knowledge of Linux/Unix internals and systems services such as DNS, DHCP, TFTP, iptables, smtp, etc.
- Understanding of networking protocols such as TCP, UDP and HTTP
- Experience interacting with services written in higher level languages like C++, Java, PHP, and Go
- Knowledge with higher level scripting languages including Python or Ruby
- Experience implementing instrumentation and monitoring solutions
- An undergraduate degree in computer science or relevant technical field
Back to top