Manager, Production Engineering
Production Engineering is a hybrid software/systems group that ensures Facebook's services run smoothly and have the capacity for future growth. Production Engineers work with all of Facebook's other product and infrastructure teams, at times embedded in those teams. Managing a Production Engineering team requires a comprehensive understanding of a wide range of technologies, a focus on growing and developing the skills and talents of your team, and a relentless drive to focus on high-value projects and to prioritise ruthlessly.
MANAGER, PRODUCTION ENGINEERING RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage engineers working with the engineering teams on our back-end services like our Hadoop data warehouses, front-end services like Chat and Newsfeed, infrastructure components like our Memcache infrastructure, and everything in between.
- Understand technical architectures, capacity plans, tooling needs, automation plans, product launch plans, and other issues and create comprehensive plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges
- Partner with product management, program management, network engineering, site reliability operations, and other related groups
- Help engineers develop their careers, assigning them to projects tailored to their skill levels, long-term skill development, personalities, and work styles
- Work closely with dedicated recruiting staff to expand the team, including sourcing candidates, interviewing candidates, participating in conferences/events, and onboarding new employees
- Balance the need to "keep things running" with allocating time to long-term, high-impact projects
- Assess employee performance frequently, address under-performance, and recognise and promote performance
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- At least 5+ years of direct management experience in a technology company OR extensive experience as a technical lead and formal project management or business training
- Experience with hiring and performance management, including working with under-performers
- Sound knowledge of UNIX and TCP/IP network fundamentals
- Ability to code well in at least one language (even if it is not one that Facebook uses)
- Ability to rapidly learn new software languages, frameworks and APIs quickly
- Sharp and tenacious troubleshooting skills: you can fix anything
- Ability to perform 'guerrilla capacity planning' for internet service architectures
- Good knowledge of basic large-scale internet service architectures (such as load balancing, LAMP, CDN's), even if you haven't worked on one
- Familiarity with common applications such as Apache, memcached, Squid, MySQL, NFS, DHCP, NTP, SSH, DNS, and SNMP
- A healthy respect for our motto 'Move Fast and Break Things,' but always make sure you know how to fix them too
- Good communications skills
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com .
RELATED JOB OPENINGS
- Audit & Compliance Program Mgr- Data Center
- Construction Operations Manager EMEA
- Director, Data Center Site Operations, EMEA & APAC
- Pre-Construction Manager- ICM
- Production Engineer
- Systems Engineer
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . Requests sent to this email address that do not pertain to disability or religious accommodations cannot be answered.
Questions? Check out our FAQs.
Back to top