Manager, Performance and Capacity Engineering
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Software Engineering Manager to join the Capacity Engineering & Analysis team (CEA) to lead site-wide performance and capacity projects. This person would be required to work cross-functionally with a number of teams to ensure optimal operation and growth of our computing resources from both a cost and technology perspective. Help build one of the largest Internet services in the world with tens of billions of user requests, tens of exabytes of data, thousands of giga bps of network flow.
Managers in CEA will be passionate about identifying, developing and delivering projects to enable us to scale our infrastructure more efficiently. This is an intellectually complex and operationally challenging role at the vanguard of distributed systems and large-scale web services. You will build and lead teams that design, build, test and successfully implement complex, cutting-edge, multi-disciplinary technologies & projects. Given the magnitude, complexity and impact of Facebook, the individual in this role must be an exceptional leader with strong leadership skills, solid business acumen, superior technical aptitude and an intrinsic ambition for and skill at building & growing an industry leading organization that consistently delivers world-class infrastructure.
Managers in CEA help drive our company wide efficiency efforts, push for new architectures for our services, and enable us to move fast and ship amazing products. We have an organization where every individual has the opportunity to do their best work on very impactful projects. This position will be based at Facebook Headquarters in Menlo Park, California.
- Lead a team of engineers committed to manage and scale one of the largest web capacity in the world.
- Drive efficiency across services at Facebook, including Ads, News feed, Data Warehouse, our Caching tiers, and more.
- Collaborate with Product groups to design optimal solutions involving software re-architecture and hardware design to meet the exponential growth challenges.
- Be both technically hands-on and people manager.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to both your team members and your project peers.
- Define and deliver on project roadmap to automate optimal capacity planning and management.
- Communicate cross-functionally across various teams, organizations and internal and external stakeholders to drive engineering efforts.
- Develop tools to monitor services that support billions of user requests.
- Create monitoring, reporting, data-mining tools to do performance and capacity-related tests and analysis.
- Identify capacity-related issues proactively and work with systems, network, application operations and engineering teams to discover resolutions.
- Work with analysts, operations and engineering to perform cutting-edge technologies investigation and cost analysis.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research or other technical field.
- Experience in software engineering, hardware engineering, performance analysis, or large-scale distributed systems.
- Analytical planning or modelling experience.
- Interpersonal and communication experience.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams.
- Experience leading and growing engineers.
- Experience in performance engineering or capacity engineering.
- Experience with budgeting and TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) analysis for distributed services.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top