Manager, Optical Engineering - Characterization and Metrology
The AR/VR Platform Display and Optics team focuses on moving the state-of-art display and optical technologies forward for Facebook AR/VR products, which gives people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. The team is responsible for technology development and maturation, component design, novel manufacturing processes and metrology development, and system integration of display and optics for all Facebook AR/VR products.
The VR/Portal optics team within D&O is looking for an experienced and self-motivated optical engineering manager to lead one of the best optical metrology and characterization teams in the world. Your team will develop optical/visual specifications and test methods, and characterize optical components and systems. In addition, your team will develop the state-of-art optical metrology for VR/Portal optics. All of your work will change the landscape of capabilities of virtual reality hardware and Portal hardware through a close collaboration with both internal and external partners.
MANAGER, OPTICAL ENGINEERING - CHARACTERIZATION AND METROLOGY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead, build and develop world-class optical metrology and characterization team.
- Responsible for both lab and mass production optical metrology development for VR/Portal optical components and systems, with a close collaboration with internal and external cross functional partners.
- Responsible for both optical and visual characterization of VR/Portal optical components and systems.
- Work closely with external hardware industry partners to identify, define, develop, test, and deploy state of the art optics for VR/Portal products.
- Willingness and ability to travel both domestically and internationally (up to 25% of the time).
- 3+ years people management experience in consumer electronics product development. Extensive experience and deep knowledge on optics, optical systems and optical metrology.
- Communications skills.
- Analytical, time-management and organizational skills.
- Energy and drive to work in a startup environment.
- BS degree in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics or a related technical discipline with 5+ years of experience, or advanced degree in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or a related technical discipline with 2+ years of experience.
- Knowledge in both sequential and non-sequential optical design software is preferred (e.g. Zemax, Code V, LightTool, FRED and/or ASAP).
- Expertise in several of the skills listed below is required and some familiarity with all of the skills is desired:
- Image quality evaluation.
- Optical metrology and characterization.
- Stray light molding and analysis.
- Camera module or lens testing and characterization.
- Optical metrology development from concept to system validation.
- Opto-mechanical design and simulation using Nx, Solidworks or other CAD tools. Test automation using LabVIEW, MATLAB or Python.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com .
Back to top