Manager, Capacity Engineering and Analysis-Hardware Performance and Adoption
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking an Engineering Manager to join the Capacity Engineering & Analysis team (CEA) to lead site-wide performance projects. This person would help understand the workload characteristics of current and future services in Facebook data centers and work with our Hardware engineers and vendors to design next generation Open Compute hardware platforms to meet that demand. This is a cross-functional role spanning software architecture, performance analysis, and hardware. Help build one of the largest Internet services in the world with tens of billions of user requests, tens of exabytes of data, thousands of giga bps of network flow! This position is full-time and based at our Menlo Park, CA. office.
Managers in CEA will be passionate about identifying, developing and delivering projects to enable us to scale our infrastructure more efficiently. This is an intellectually complex and operationally challenging role at the vanguard of distributed systems and large-scale web services. You will build and lead teams that design, build, test and successfully implement complex, cutting-edge, multi-disciplinary technologies & projects. Given the magnitude, complexity and impact of Facebook, the individual in this role must be an exceptional leader with strong leadership skills, solid business acumen, superior technical aptitude and an intrinsic ambition for and skill at building & growing an industry leading organization that consistently delivers world-class infrastructure.
Managers in CEA help drive our company wide efficiency efforts, push for new architectures for our services, and enable us to move fast and ship amazing products. This position will be based at Facebook Headquarters in Menlo Park, California.
- Lead a team of engineers committed to building out the best hardware platforms to scale one of the largest fleets of web services in the world.
- Collect production workloads from the fleet and use this to guide future hardware platform directions for Facebook data centers.
- Be both technically hands-on and people manager.
- Partner with Hardware Engineers, Service Teams, and more to help guide the definition of Facebook's Open Compute Hardware platforms.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to both your team members and your project peers.
- Define and deliver on project roadmap to deliver benchmark suites and automated tests suites.
- Ability to define and build analytical models of web services and hardware performance.
- Communicate cross-functionally across various teams, organizations and internal and external stakeholders to drive engineering efforts.
- Develop tools to monitor services that support billions of user requests.
- Create, monitoring, reporting, data-mining tools to do performance and capacity-related tests and analysis.
- Work with financial analysts, operations and engineering to perform cutting-edge technologies investigation and cost analysis.
- Identify capacity-related issues proactively and work with systems, network, application operations and engineering teams to discover resolutions.
- Partner with vendors to help move the industry to support our growth.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research or other technical field.
- Experience in Software engineering, hardware engineering, performance analysis, or large-scale distributed systems.
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a hardware leader working across at least one of the following areas: workload characterization, performance or electrical/mechanical/thermal design.
- Analytical planning or modelling experience.
- Interpersonal and communication experience.
- Proven experience to operate autonomously and across multiple teams.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams.
- Experience leading and growing engineers.
- Experience in performance engineering or capacity engineering.
- Experience with budgeting and TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) analysis for distributed services.
Back to top