Lead Technical Program Manager, Workplace
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Workplace by Facebook's mission is to give the world a place to work together. Workplace is used by over 30,000 organizations worldwide to transform how they connect, collaborate and get things done. Workplace works for large organizations like Starbucks and Walmart as well as smaller organizations like startups and SMBs
Are you passionate about helping those around you be more effective? Do you think about technology as a way to increase efficiency, quality, improve user experience and change how business operates? Are you versed in developing a collective vision, and inspire teams to establish ambitious goals and execute flawlessly? Facebook is seeking a Technical Program Management leader for Workplace products. We are looking for candidates who share our passion for tackling complexity head-on, to help build product & platforms that can scale through multiple orders of magnitude, while building and supporting a world class team of Technical Program Managers. Your core responsibility would be to support growth and development of Technical Program Managers as they drive planning, prioritization and program execution to ensure high availability of our Workplace products. In this role, you're not afraid to roll-up your sleeves to do the work in order to understand the space, challenges and guide your team.
The TPM team leads programs designed to help protect the information shared by billions of people, and is maintained to the highest of standards. We work across all domains of engineering (product, infrastructure, quality), and across all layers of the tech stack at Facebook. Technical Program Managers at Facebook navigate loosely defined problem spaces and turn them into well-oiled programs by seeing the big picture, driving consensus, and finally driving execution across teams to uphold the safety and security of our family of products. The Workplace TPM team will partner with Engineering and cross-discipline teams to build programs to build and validate user experiences that are delightful for our enterprise customers. As a peer to Engineers Managers and Product Managers, the individual will heavily contribute to planning, strategy definition, execution, and evangelism; negotiating cross-team dependencies, while representing core Facebook values and perspectives.
The ideal candidate will have a strong technical foundation in systems design for complex platforms similar to Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, WhatsApp. They will have experience in supporting and growing teams and work across various disciplines, preferably with hands-on architecture level decision making. Additionally, they will have experience working with data (analytics/insights experience, knowledge of database query languages, and/or broad experience in using data for product decision making), and the ability to build influence by example. Relevant experience is important with demonstrated abilities and attitude.
This is a full-time position based in our London office. The role does require some amount of travel to our headquarters and other offices in the United States.
- Manage cross-functional product development programs in a matrix organization covering a range of teams and tools on performance & reliability & quality
- Help define the roadmap and long-term strategy of the teams that you are working with.
- Partner with key product and infrastructure groups across engineers, scientists & analysts, product managers across the company to understand and anticipate their needs.
- Forge partnerships with the partner Product & Infrastructure teams to collaboratively on dependencies & solve problems.
- Articulate the technology, requirements, goals and milestones of your team.
- Bring a strong sense of execution and ownership to the team.
- Build highly scalable, performant and reliable systems and infrastructure.
- Responsible for hiring, mentoring and developing the best TPM talent.
- Define and own key metrics and key performance indicators.
- Responsible for people management of a team, providing performance reviews, continual feedback, coaching and career growth for direct reports.
- Manage at least 3 direct reports.
- B.S. in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years of software engineering, systems engineering or technical product/program management experience.
- 2+ years of experience as a People Manager.
- Experience managing an organization of program or product managers, including building and growing the team.
- Experience moving technical or engineering programs and products from inception to delivery, and experience articulating the impact using metrics, growth examples, return, etc.
- Experience structuring an organization that optimizes for execution, including attracting talent and building out gaps in the existing team.
- Communication experience and experience working with technical management teams to develop systems, solutions, and products.
- Organizational, coordination and multi-tasking experience.
- Analytical and problem-solving experience with large-scale systems.
- Experience establishing work relationships across multi-disciplinary teams and multiple partners in different time zones.
- Experience with or around complex software engineering projects, systems engineering on iOS and/or Android & Web
- Strong organizational and coordination skills along with multi-tasking capabilities to get things done in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to motivate and focus a large collaboration to reach challenging goals
- Experience working with teams located across different time zones
Back to top