Lead Systems Engineer/Silicon Lead, Building 8
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Building 8 brings together world-class experts to develop and ship groundbreaking products at the intersection of hardware, software, and content. We have a clear mandate to ship products at scale. In particular, seemingly impossible products that define new categories that advance Facebook's mission of connecting the world. The B8 team will apply DARPA-style breakthrough development at the intersection of ambitious science and product development. It will operate on aggressive, fixed timelines, with extensive use of partnerships in universities, small and large businesses. The Product Launch Team has the responsibility for taking breakthroughs and delivering them to market at scale. Building 8 seeks a Lead Systems Engineer who has experience in architecture and product realization of complex consumer electronics devices. We are looking for a slightly impatient individual willing to face down their fear of failure to accomplish bold things. This is a full-time position based in our Menlo Park office.
- Engage with technology project leads, product management and various component SMEs to determine the systems compute, memory, and interface requirements feeding into the system architectures.
- Create system models for memory/interface bandwidth and compute requirements to determine optimal system partitioning.
- Overlay Building 8's architecture and feature requirements with SI vendors' roadmaps to determine best fit as well as outages.
- Drive silicon vendor roadmaps to meet future feature requirements.
- Drive the creation of realizable systems architectures incorporating advanced technology projects targeting next generation products
- Work in the theoretical space with an eye on the real-world implementation experience
- Make the chipset and silicon vendor recommendations
- Heavy involvement in the initial product realization and bring-up.
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering
- Understanding of various processing architectures including IA, Cortex A/M, DSPs, GPUs, heterogeneous compute
- Understanding of various industry accepted compute benchmarks and how they can be used to project system performance
- Hands-on systems and product engineering and architecture experience in the product life cycle from product definition to NPI and ramp
- Experience in prototyping and early proof of concept work
- Passion for Facebook's mission.
- Detailed understanding of overall systems interactions of hardware, firmware, kernels, frameworks, network and cloud systems in terms of latencies and interfaces.
- Ability to model system BW, compute, and latency across multiple subsystems in a heterogeneous compute environment to determine the system components and performance required to meet the overall goals of the product definition
- Understanding of memory subsystems including mass storage and filesystem as well as volatile memory and memory management and their impacts on overall system performance
- Experience with various standard interfaces in the typical consumer platform (CSI, DSI, M-PHY, D-PHY, C-PHY, SPI, I2C, I2S)
- Working knowledge across the following areas with detailed experience in at least one:
- Imaging: interfaces, optical, sensors, modules, IQ, AAA, ISP fundamentals, CV/ML (object detection, identification/recognition, tracking, …)
- Audio: interfaces, sounds filed recording and reproduction (channel based, HoA etc), multi mic topologies, beam forming, blind source separation, natural language processing
- Communications: network impacts on latency, throughput and jitter, VoIP and video communications
- General Machine learning (DNN, CNN, RNN)
- Experience with latest generation mobile and consumer electronics chipset architectures.
- Android system experience
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top