Lead Data Scientist, Data Center
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Our data centers are the foundation upon which our rapidly scaling infrastructure efficiently operates to deliver our innovative products to the world. The Data Center Analytics team is seeking an experienced, outgoing, and self-motivated professional to be the tech lead for our data center analytics program.
In this role, your primary responsibility will be to partner with key stakeholders and lead strategic analysis to support and enable the continued growth critical to Facebook’s Data Center organization. You will be responsible for creating analytics programs, from data sourcing to surfacing insights and driving action, for various aspects of Facebook’s global data center operations. You will also help translate data and identify efficiency opportunities. You will be expected to use data to provide meaningful recommendations and actionable strategies to key stakeholders, and develop best practices, including streamlining of data sources and related programmatic initiatives. The ideal candidate will have a passion for working in white space and creating impact from the ground up in a fast paced environment. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have a proven track record of thought leadership and impact in developing similar analytics and metrics based programs. This position is part of the Infrastructure Data Center team and located in our Menlo Park office.
- Leverage data and business principles to create and drive large scale FB Data Center programs.
- Define and develop the program for metrics creation, data collection, modeling, and reporting the operational performance of Facebook’s data centers.
- Work cross functionally to define problem statements, collect data, build analytical models and make recommendations.
- Identify and implement streamlined processes for data reporting and communication.
- Use analytical models to identify insights that are used to drive key decisions across the organization.
- Routinely communicate metrics, trends and other key indicators to leadership.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to other members of the team.
- Lead and support various ad hoc projects, as needed, in support of Facebook’s Data Center strategy.
- Build and maintain data driven optimization models, experiments, forecasting algorithms and capacity constraint models.
- Leverage tools like R, PHP, Python, Hadoop & SQL to drive efficient analytics.
- BS degree in a business or technical discipline required
- 7+ years of prior experience in a role with heavy emphasis on data analysis and metrics development required
- 5+ years of hands-on experience analyzing and interpreting data, drawing conclusions, defining recommended actions, and reporting results across diverse stakeholders
- 5+ years of SQL development skills writing complex queries
- 3+ years of hands-on project management experience
- 3+ years of experience with data visualization tools
- 2+ years of experience with packages such as R, SPSS, SAS, STATA, etc.
- 2+ years of experience in web development and PHP scripting
- Proven track record of leveraging data driven models to drive impactful business decisions
- Experience using data access tools and building dashboards using large datasets and multiple data sources
- Analytical ability and communications skills
- Proven ability to effectively distill and communicate complex data to all organizational levels
- Masters degree in a business or technical discipline
- Technical knowledge of data center operations
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top