Lead Counsel, Privacy and Regulatory
(Menlo Park, CA – Washington, DC)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Facebook is seeking talented and flexible counsel to assist in a range of regulatory reviews, programs, and initiatives, especially in areas of privacy, data protection, security, and consumer protection. This is a full-time position located in our Menlo Park, California headquarters or Washington, DC location. The role is broad and, among other things, involves advising clients on various legal risks and obligations and driving high-profile cross-functional initiatives across the business involving a variety of complex legal and/or regulatory issues. This requires the ability to both work independently and with large multi-stakeholder teams. We are looking for someone who is diligent, proactive, collaborative, and has demonstrated excellent legal and business judgment, strategic thinking, and leadership skills. Candidates should also be strong writers and effective communicators.
- Support members of the legal, business, and policy teams on privacy matters, including in areas related to partnerships, acquisitions, integrations, and other business development opportunities
- Drive high-profile and high-impact projects involving stakeholders across Facebook’s business, policy, legal, communications, security, and other departments
- Respond to regulatory inquiries and investigations, and draft regulatory filings
- Evaluate the impact of legislative, regulatory, and industry proposals across Facebook’s services and companies
- Participate in the development and management of Facebook’s (and its affiliates’) terms and policies (especially including the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities and the Data Policy)
- Manage internal privacy programs and processes to ensure we meet our obligations under those programs
- Interface with partners and clients regarding Facebook products, policies, practices, and guidelines
- Assist product lawyers in evaluating impact of privacy laws, regulatory guidance and enforcement actions, and other related guidelines on product features
- 6 or more years of experience in privacy, including at a global law firm and/or prior in-house experience with internet or technology companies
- J.D. degree and membership in at least one US state bar
- Demonstrated experience working with in-house clients and business partners
- Experience applying global privacy laws, regulations, and industry guidelines, especially including those relevant for social media and Internet companies
- Experience evaluating privacy impacts relating to acquisitions, partnerships and commercial deals, and updates to internal and external policies and compliance programs
- Ability and willingness to travel, including to our Washington, D.C. office
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top