Lead Counsel, Japan
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a talented and flexible generalist lawyer to join the APAC legal team as Lead Counsel, Japan. You will be supporting Facebook’s APAC operations advising internal clients on issues relating to a broad range of subject matters. Diligent and proactive, you bring excellent business judgment, legal acumen, project management, stakeholder management experience and ability to work both cross-functionally and independently, as the situation may require. This is a full-time position based in Tokyo, Japan.The position will report to counsel based in Seoul, Korea
- Work collaboratively with the APAC and global legal teams, as well as public policy and communications, to advise on legal matters relating to Japan.
- Advisory and project management responsibility with respect to a broad range of legal subjects including corporate, commercial, regulatory, IP and employment matters.
- Participation in other projects (both Asia and global based) as directed.
- LLB, JD or equivalent degree and excellent academic credentials from a top law school
- A minimum of six years of legal experience with at least three years at top-tier US, UK or Japanese law firm
- In-house experience in Japan at a US-headquartered company a plus
- Demonstrated experience advising clients in a wide variety of subject matters, including corporate, commercial, regulatory, IP and employment laws.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and stakeholder management skills, and ability to work well with cross-functional teams
- Candidates must be flexible and be able to work extended hours when necessary to complete projects in a timely fashion
- Exercise good judgment and provide practical solutions
- Native or near-native fluency in verbal and written Japanese and superior English communication skills required
- Open to travel as and when required
- Compensation based on experience and includes equity compensation
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top