IT Capacity Engineer
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a capacity-minded engineer to join the IT Infrastructure team to help plan and support Facebook's incredible growth. Our group requires working cross-functionally with a number of organizations to ensure optimal operation and growth of our datacenter, network, compute and storage resources from cost and technology perspectives. This position is full-time and based at our Menlo Park office.
- Find and deliver game changing IT technology: work with custom hardware designers, engineering, and operations teams to develop next generation solutions leveraging and integrating Facebook, commercial, and open source technologies.
- Scale one of the fastest growing and most complex IT ecosystems in the world, leveraging cutting-edge physical and virtual infrastructure across multiple geographies. We work in some of the most advanced and efficient datacenters with PUEs approaching 1.0. Travel to and collaborate with datacenter teams on several continents for forecasting and planning space, cabling, power, and cooling.
- Support overall Facebook capacity planning for all global IT developed and implemented products / services. Collaborate with cross-functional teams including IT, Production, Infrastructure and Finance to optimize and enable the rapid expansion of Facebook's diverse businesses with an eye on explosive growth and 5+ year long range planning.
- Partner closely with Product Managers (both internal and third party based solutions), Engineering Managers and Technical Program Managers (TPMs) across the IT teams within Business Intelligence, Business Application support and Infrastructure to align capacity demand with 6-12 month roadmaps.
- Support budgeting, purchasing and asset tracking for IT server, network and storage equipment in datacenters, POPs and field offices. Drive financial planning for infrastructure, network circuits and software licensing models while working with cross-functional partners in Finance, Sales, HR, Prod, Infra, Data platforms, and Engineering organizations across FB.
- Data driven approaches are key - proactively drive capacity and performance experiments to determine scaling and utilization parameters for service tiers. Design and build capacity monitoring with a focus on the automation of capacity dashboards, reporting and trend alerting.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research or other technical field
- 3+ years of experience supporting or capacity planning a datacenter environment spanning more than 3 physical locations with 1,000+ servers
- 2+ years of experience working with IT infrastructure including bare-metal and virtualized compute hardware, NAS and Block storage, and multi-vendor network devices (e.g. CSCO, JNPR, etc.)
- 2+ years experience working with cross-functional teams for consolidated budgeting / financial planning - including CapEx/OpEx modeling, depreciation forecasting, managing software licensing and maintenance agreements
- Analytical, budgeting and planning skills
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top